Old Aberdeen

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I went for geometry over detail on this shot of a part of old Aberdeen.

I love wet cobbles!

IMG_8845.jpg

Nice shot Bachs - great detail and your wet cobbles work really well ... just one thing though - where do the steps go ?

Thanx for sharing !

Great shot Bachs,

As Ven says, the wet cobbles work really well, those stairs really look well used, makes you cast your mind back to the thousands and thousands of people who have used them.

Mike

Really like how you convert to B&W Bachs.........care to share which process you follow?

P-E said:
Really like how you convert to B&W Bachs.........care to share which process you follow?

Thanks guys!

Working on a flash video tutorial as we speak!
It's quite a lengthy process as it's very selective and a bit complicated so too long to write out really.
The video should make things a lot clearer but it's a mammoth task so please be patient and I'll get it finished as soon as I can.

Here's the shot I'm basing the tutorial on...

IMG_8883b.jpg

hi bachs
great mono shot as always, love the highlighted bits on the steps, and all the detail you have kept even in the shadow areas.
love it
edit: is the boat picture, the end result. or the start.

Boon said:
is the boat picture, the end result. or the start.

If you need to ask the question, I'd better have another go at it :p

Seriously, it was a sort of finished one, but in the tutorial I'll be doing a lot more work on it so it should come out much better. :)

Bachs said:
If you need to ask the question, I'd better have another go at it :p

Seriously, it was a sort of finished one, but in the tutorial I'll be doing a lot more work on it so it should come out much better. :)

not having seen what you started with, i wasn't sure:doh:

like that first shot, is it going down towards the railway station somewhere?

Good to see some B&W shots from you Steve...was a bit concerned when I saw your colour ones earlier ;)

Bachs said:
Thanks guys!

Working on a flash video tutorial as we speak!
It's quite a lengthy process as it's very selective and a bit complicated so too long to write out really.
The video should make things a lot clearer but it's a mammoth task so please be patient and I'll get it finished as soon as I can.

Tell you what Steve, to wet people appetites why don't you post some original colour & then end result B&W's in a dedicated thread for people to attempt their best B&W conversion. Then you can share with us how you did it :thumb:

DJW said:
Tell you what Steve, to wet people appetites why don't you post some original colour & then end result B&W's in a dedicated thread for people to attempt their best B&W conversion. Then you can share with us how you did it :thumb:

great idea dave, i'll second that:thumb:

Bachs said:
I went for geometry over detail on this shot of a part of old Aberdeen.

I love wet cobbles!

IMG_8845.jpg

I like this one a lot. The steps really intrigue me and I too wonder where they lead to. There are two distinct wear patterns on the steps which seems to indicate people going up on one side and down on the other, so really busy at times? Assuming that's a railway bridge I'm wondering if the steps are to a station platform?

Thanks Peeps :embarasse :)

Dod...The steps lead up to Union St, the main shopping street running through Aberdeen between King St and Market St, next to the cemetry. I think the railway station is on the other side of Union St.

Dave/Boon...Posting the colour shots is a great idea.
I'll start a thread when I get some time and post a jpeg of a straight untouched RAW file and walk through the process(es) I use.

Its a combination of a few techniques, starting with channel mixer but also uses 'selective' colour', local contrast enhancement and a pretty neat trick I picked up recently that replaces the traditional dodge & burn tools to pull much more detail out.

Let me have a think how I'm going to set this up and I'll get the ball rolling!

PS: CT I never noticed the wear pattern on the steps until you pointed it out!

Very nice Bachs, really interesting (in a good way) :)

Back