Old Buckenham Airshow.......

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
OK, first ever attempt at shooting anything moving at any sort of speed - unfortunately the sky was hazy grey which i think detracts from the pictures - dead backgrounds!

All taken with a Pentax K-m body, shot in Jpeg at 10mp, high image quality with a Sigma 70-300 lens - pretty much the 300 end of the range as well.

Would appreciate some honest C&C, as it's the only way i will improve. Only things done in PS is to crop and resize to fit on here.

Thanks for looking.

IMGP1772cropresize.jpg

IMGP1763cropresize.jpg

IMGP1752cropresize.jpg

IMGP1734cropresize.jpg

IMGP1695cropresize.jpg

IMGP1689cropresize.jpg

IMGP1663cropresize.jpg

IMGP1624cropresize.jpg

IMGP1598cropresize.jpg

Would appreciate some comments from those of you experienced in airshows and aircraft photography.......as to how to improve.

Maybe some new longer range glass is in order???? :)

Hi Lynton

I think you did pretty well for your first time. Can you tell us what settings you used?

Mike

Mike - thanks - pretty much all around the f8 mark with 1/90 - 1/250 exposure (left it on auto to be honest)

Still remain disappointed with the autofocus of the Sigma lens and the Image Quality at the long range end of the lens. Towards infinity - would expect better focusing.......

like the spitfire and hurricane

cheers Mr Bizarre - Lanc was supposed to be there as well for the Battole of Britain Memorial Flight, but unfortunately had some problems on the ground at Biggin Hill. Weather was also a bit damp for it I believe.

Just wish that pictures captured sounds as well!!!

Hey, not bad going.
I like the Stearman break, and also the Jungmann. Its a shame there are focus issues with some of the others. Some seem a little dark, try pushing the exposure by about 1-2/3rds of a stop.
Keep it up, it gets better all the time.
Dean:)

Overall a really very good effort for your first time. You've managed to get prop blur which is pretty good for starters, think you were unfortunate with the weather though. maybe next time try TV (shutter priority) rather than auto, let the aperture look after itself, for props your looking at 250/320th, but if the exposure looks dodgy crank the ISO up if it starts to flash in the view finder. For fast jets I tend to use around the 800th/sec or more, not brave enough to go lower!

Tim

Back