Old Canons.

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Ok, so I have an EOS 3 and it's a cracking camera and a pleasure to use. But, when I shoot with it, I think I may as well be using digi, it's too whizz bang for film. The autofocus and metering laughs at my 400d which is all well and good, but I don't really need it.

So, I've got a 5D in the pipeline, so that'll be my everyday, nice to use get the job done camera. And I'm thinking of selling the EOS 3 and replacing it with an old mechanical 'proper' camera.

All I want is a solid 35mm body I can put some b&w negs through. I want full manual control and no batteries required to shoot, that'll do. I can focus and meter with my eyes, or a handheld meter if I feel the need.

If I get an old Canon I presume it's going to be FD mount? There are adaptors to put EOS lenses on FD aren't there?

Apologies for the ramble, I'll blame it on lack of sleep this month from preparing my final folio.. All I need from you guys is suggestions for a cheap, solid body if you please. :)

Cheers,

Jay.

There are adaptors to put an FD lens on an EOS body. FD lenses have an aperture ring whereas EOS EF lenses is all done electronically. How would you set the aperture otherwise?

I think you'll need a selection of FD lenses as well - should be able to get some fairly easily.

Manual focus with autofocus lenses is not hugely satisfactory. Don't get me wrong, as a once in a while thing it is OK but to do it all the time there is not enough focus ring to get hold of comfortably on most, and almost universally the gearing which leads to fast snappy autofocus makes accurate manual focus difficult at best and impossible under some circumstances.

This all means that you can widen your choices beyond the Canon brand.

Whatever the merits of the Nikon vs Canon vs the rest argument today, there is no doubt that back then Canon were not the brand to go for. The build quality of both bodies and lenses (particularly the latter) was not in the same league of the likes of Nikon, Olympus or Penatx.

You may or may not need a battery depending on what you choose, but this need not be too much of an issue. With separate motor drives and no autofocus the little batteries only have to drive the meter (and sometimes a tiny viewfinder display) so they last a very long time indeed. I treat my F3 to new batteries once a year but even with heavy use I suspect that there would be a good few months use left in them.

A few models to look at would include the Nikon FE (not the FE2) or the F3 (if you can put up with the eccentric hotshoe), the Olympus OM1 or a Pentax Spotmatic F (the last having the "universal" M42 screw mount so a vast selection of lenses to choose from). If you really must go for Canon then perhaps an AE1 or an F1N (clunky but built like a tank) would fit the bill.

With rangefinders the choice is vast depending on how much you are prepared to spend and how much control you require. The Olympus Trip 35 is light in weight and has a cracking lens; although creative control is not exactly vast they are a pleasure to use.

Have a look at a Pentax MX. One of the best cameras Pentax ever made, and although not marketed as a pro camera, many pros took it into use, recognising the robust build quality of it. It's fully mechanical - the battery only powers the meter, and I think I'm right in saying it's the smallest film SLR ever made. I shot with a couple of these for a while and they never let me down.

There are both black and silver bodied versions, with my preference being for silver.

pentax-mx.jpg

There are loads of K mount lenses available for these being virtually given away. I used a 24mm 2.8 lens for wider wedding groups and larger interiors and it was crisper than a really crisp thing.

From memory (not going to be too far wrong as I used mine a few months ago to teach the lad some photography basics) the Trip 35 has a choice of 2 shutter speeds - 1/40 and 1/200, an aperture range of around f/2.8 to f/22 and a 3 zone focus system, flash syncs at 1/40 sec via pc socket or hotshoe.

ISO setting max is 400 which is enough for HP5 :)

All in all a nice compromise between a bit of control and ease of use in a small neat package.

CT - I had forgotten about the MX - nice bit of kit although I have to say that I think they look a lot nicer in Black!

CT - I had forgotten about the MX - nice bit of kit although I have to say that I think they look a lot nicer in Black!

LOL. Personal preference innit?

I had a silver body and one day I was in a well known Photoshop in W'ton - long since gone, where there was a pro who'd gone bust and was near to tears at the derisory price he was being offered for a black MX body, a few lenses and a top end studio meter. he ended up following me to the nearest hole in the wall where both of us ended up happy.

If your after a range finder, but can't aford a Leica, then check out the Voigtlander Bressa R models.

I am thinking of getting one of these, The 'A' models have Aperature Priorty and the 'M' are all manual.
Lens are said to be very very good + you can get them in Leica mounts.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtr2ar3a.htm

Gives loads of info on Range Finders, both old and new

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Jay, I assume you've considered a medium format SLR like a Mamiya or Bronica? If not, you may want to consider it. Medium format is a truly satisfying form of photography and the results are outstanding compared to 35mm.

Back