Old Epson Stylus Photo 2100 Pigment or Dye Inks

Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

I have an old but still working Epson Stylus Photo 2100 and was looking into getting some refillable cartridges and bulk ink to cut my printing costs.

Trouble is I am a little confused about the ink type required as I understand the OEM ink is pigment based but most of the bulk ink suppliers list 2 sets of ink for this printer, one Pigment and the other Dye.

Can you run dye inks through a printer designed for pigment inks and if it's ok why would you choose one over the other ?

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul

Hi all.

I have an old but still working Epson Stylus Photo 2100 and was looking into getting some refillable cartridges and bulk ink to cut my printing costs.

Trouble is I am a little confused about the ink type required as I understand the OEM ink is pigment based but most of the bulk ink suppliers list 2 sets of ink for this printer, one Pigment and the other Dye.

Can you run dye inks through a printer designed for pigment inks and if it's ok why would you choose one over the other ?

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul

I would query the ink suppliers.

It seems there are two variants of the Stylus 2100.

The Epson Stylus Photo 2100

And the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 Color Management Edition. This version uses Ultra Chrome Inks......which I think are Pigment but just searching for Stylus Photo 2100 inks took me to Claria inks which are Due inks!

So, to that may be the confusion on the 3rd party ink suppliers?

If you can check the OEM carts codes (assuming there not a way on the printer to check your variant?) that should "tell you from a search" which ink is being used.

As for utilising Dye on a Pigment head.....not heard of that but have read/heard of folk putting Pigment through a Dye printer but very much at owners risk. Oh, as the Epson and Canon head technologies are different, what I just said may only be about one brand not both...but which one :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

PS
Idling away a few extra minutes on my phone browser.

I can not readily find a specs difference about the above model(s).

Going to Epson's own support pages both lead to the same online manual and specify the T034x carts (x = between 1 to 8 depending on the colour needed).

Hopefully you can sort it out AOK?

Last edited:
Back