Old Photo.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been going through some old stuff and found this shot which I was asked to restore a few years ago. There's a lot of work to make it anything like - you really need to see the image larger to appreciate how bad it is. I quoted the customer a pretty reasonable price considering the amount of work needed, (and the fact he wanted a very large print off it) which he agreed to and then later rang me and decided it was too much. Shame really, as compared to a lot of old shots, there's a worthwhile image under all that wear and tear.

2617235348_370deec756_o.jpg

This shot fascinates me. They're obviously miners - the guy with the axe is holding a Davy Lamp used for testing for gas, and I'm guessing that the occasion for the photo was they'd started the sinking of a new mine shaft. I guess it dates from around the turn of the last century or a bit earlier, but it's difficult to say.

Some of these old shots can be really interesting. As is this one. Do we get to see your finished work?

I like that!

I can't help thinking they look very clean for coal miners. Was there any other type of mining in your area historically? Presuming the pic is from that area.

Love looking at the old photos CT and this has a story to tell too..:)

Would also like to see the finished job.;)

I'm not absolutely sure I ever finished it. I know I'd done best part of a couple of days work on it when the customer cancelled so I wasn't too impressed at the time. It'll be on a CD somewhere if I've still got it - I'll have a look see when I have time.

Found it just where I left off with it. Still needs a fair bit of work - the guy wanted a 20"X16" print off this and bound on canvas it would have looked fantastic.

2618302012_a173262411_o.jpg

I might just finish it for myself one of these days and get it hung on the wall of my den - I thnk we can safely assume the original tog is no longer with us. ;)

Thanks, although it's not finished. Nightmare job tbh, but it's one of those pics you'd do for nothing although you can't tell the customer that. :D

All too often it's painful tedious work on what was a crappy image to start with. :puke:

When you think what equipment this guy probably took this shot with he did a pretty damned good job.

great image! something about it just makes it a wonderful piece; one of those old classics:)

I love the way the guy on the right seems fascinated by this here new photographic equipment. :D

crikey that is good(y)
(I've seen worse on here with modern kit!):nuts:

Superb! You can certainly take a bow for that one CT! (y)

Back