Old Soldier

R

RoadBlock

This is my first picture post, so please be gentle with me ;)

He's an old soldier proud as punch with his medals.

old_soldier_15077b.jpg

Nicely done :)

He looks a little close to the top of the frame to me and could stand a little sharpening but a good portrait. I'm no fan of selective colouring and whilst I can see why you have done it I'd have preferred to just use a wider aperture to make him stand out (or PS blur if need be).

I love the picture.... he does look a proud man and so he should be. Its thanks to people like him that we can live in the free country we do.

I agree a little to cropped above his head but never the less a great picture.

Wonderful picture. Pride in that man's face.... and so there should be. Well caught.

Tear to eye and lump to throat time for Janice.

You've really brought the colours out so well.

Thanks for sharing. (y)

Good use of selective colour Andy, it makes the subject stand out from the background. He looks a very proud man.

I think it's an excellent picture. Must admit wouldn't mind visiting the The Royal Hospital Chelsea sometime.

Nice picture, well seen.

I find the specks on his jacket a bit distracting. Otherwise excellent.

Good effort(y)

Great photo(y)

Terrific shot of a very moving subject.
I think the selective colouring works well here and adds to the image.
Top shooting.

He's a great old bloke, but doesnt half look like he's a cutout glued onto a B&W backdrop. The edges are too severe IMHO. He dosnt blend in enough

Wonderful, wonderful character shot of an old gent quite rightly displaying his gongs with pride - he no doubt earned every one of 'em. :clap:

There's something bugging me about the processing though. I abhor gimmicky selective colouring shots, but I can see why you've done it here - it makes the figure stand out well from the background. Despite the compressed file size not being too small though, the image almost looks like it's suffering from compression artifacts and not as sharp as it could be. It's a great shot which I'm sure could look a lot better? :)

I'm not a fan of selective colouring and I'm not sure it was needed here but I love the shot nevertheless. Croppage is OK for me too but a little dandruf removal would have helped ;)

Shame about the medals, though. The only ones likely to have been awarded to him are on the top row. Of the rest, that I can identify, they are merely commemorative medals which anyone can buy. In most RBL organised or managed marches, he would have been politely asked to remove them by the Marshal.

Thanks for the comments guys.

He looks a little close to the top of the frame to me.
I see what you mean about the tight cropping above his head, I'll try it with a bit more room to see how it looks. ;)

The selective colour I feel was necessary due to the guy in the background having a bright red jacket on which I feel detracted from the "Old Soldier". It just had to be done.
I haven't done much with selective colour before so maybe I haven't achieved the best result.

Back