Oliver Cromwell Steam Train(sorry locomotive)

Name
David Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's one I took earlier of the Oliver Cromwell as it came through Beccles. I can remember riding on the foot plate of this train when I was a child at Bressingham Steam Museum nearly 40 years ago.

_DSC0735-1.jpg

Picture edited and other tog removed

Last edited:
I had noticed the sharpness, I had my Sigma 18-200 on and to be honest I haven't been to impressed with it, alot of the pictures aren't as sharp as they could be.

Good angle but its a shame about the sharpness. Also the other Togs head in the bottom left corner needs to be remover IMHO.

Good angle but its a shame about the sharpness. Also the other Togs head in the bottom left corner needs to be remover IMHO.
I noticed him after i posted the pic :bonk: It's ashame about the sharpness, it might have been user error. Just looked at the exif and i had the camera in shutter priority so could the low aperture setting have been a factor ? :(
Now edited him out.

Last edited:
I just looked at the photo again, before reading your 2nd post.
I thought I could have swore there was a Togs head in the image when I first looked at it, was it old age creeping in or the onset of dementia ?????
Anyway, I think its a good improvement.

Beautiful engine, and very good shot.

A very nice shot, with good exposure. I would not worry about it being soft it will sharpen up just fine. I did 2 passes of smart sharpen at 20% in CS3

_DSC0735-1.jpg

I noticed him after i posted the pic :bonk: It's ashame about the sharpness, it might have been user error. Just looked at the exif and i had the camera in shutter priority so could the low aperture setting have been a factor ? :(
Now edited him out.

Yes, f3.8 was probably not the best for that shot.

Whiteflyer has sharpened it up. Think you'll like it.
Good capture though.

Thanks for the comments, I was wondering can you lose quality of pics when you send them to hosting sites ?

The trouble with shooting trains is they are nearly always very dark or black and moving a quite a rate of knots so getting a decent shutter speed to completely freeze the train can be tricky. TV is the best way to do this but obviously this can give you wide apertures such as in your photo. Still, it's a good shot of a loco that I like.
Yes you can lose some quality sending photos to hosting sites depending on max filesize which can compress the jpeg.

Nice capture m8. Lovely to see Oliver in steam again.
Pity they chose black livery for a class 7 Britannia though.
BTW. It's a Locomotive, not a Steam Train...:exit:
Please excuse pedantry!

Nice capture m8. Lovely to see Oliver in steam again.
Pity they chose black livery for a class 7 Britannia though.
BTW. It's a Locomotive, not a Steam Train...:exit:
Please excuse pedantry!

Edited ;):D

That's right the front end is black and the rest is BR green (y)

Bugger Me (metaporically speaking,) I downloaded the jpeg and cranked up the gamma too - still looked black - must be my monitor methinks...

I saw her as she came through Llanelli. Might post mine in a thread later. I agree with the comments about sharpness but an otherwise nice shot!

Back