Olympus 35 EC battery

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently been given a lovely little Oly EC that I'm going to run some film through just as soon as I can get this question answered... ;)

The camera uses two batteries - I can't find the exact spec or model but from some other browsing I believe that they may be no longer made because of the mercury content.

I'm hoping that someone on here can point me in the direction of a suitable alternative - I've heard suggestions of using a Lithium cell in one compartment along with some tinfoil in the other... :(

It's in nice condition and the light seals seem ok, shutter fires etc so it would be good to get it fully working.

Thanks for any tips! (y)

Pete

Here is something I posted on the same subject today

You have some different choices here - all except the weincells ( hearing aid batteries - are 1.5 volt; while these cameras were designed for 1.35 v mercury batteries. The effect of using 1.5 v battery is that you have to set the iso value 2 stops lower than the rated film to get the correct exposure. So say you are using 400 ISO film - you set the ISO in the camera at 100. If you use 100 ISO film you set the ISO in the camera to be 25. Now weincells have a 1.35 v, but the catch is ( there alsways is one) once you open the battery is continously discharges and dies out within 2-3 months, whether you use the camera or not.

This is true for many many cameras made in the 70s and even early 80s; including the Leica CL. Once this adjustment is made, the meter is spot on.

There is a theory that as the battery starts to die; the voltage drops and the meter corrects itself without any need for adjsutment. I have not noticed this effect; but then I throw batteries out after every 6 months, as I am scared about leaks. So, i also take battery out of the camera after I have run a roll and put it in a different paacket.

Here is something I posted on the same subject today

You have some different choices here - all except the weincells ( hearing aid batteries - are 1.5 volt; while these cameras were designed for 1.35 v mercury batteries. The effect of using 1.5 v battery is that you have to set the iso value 2 stops lower than the rated film to get the correct exposure. So say you are using 400 ISO film - you set the ISO in the camera at 100. If you use 100 ISO film you set the ISO in the camera to be 25. Now weincells have a 1.35 v, but the catch is ( there alsways is one) once you open the battery is continously discharges and dies out within 2-3 months, whether you use the camera or not.

This is true for many many cameras made in the 70s and even early 80s; including the Leica CL. Once this adjustment is made, the meter is spot on.

There is a theory that as the battery starts to die; the voltage drops and the meter corrects itself without any need for adjsutment. I have not noticed this effect; but then I throw batteries out after every 6 months, as I am scared about leaks. So, i also take battery out of the camera after I have run a roll and put it in a different paacket.

Now that is useful to know! I would have set the ISO as per the film speed and then been scratching my head why everything was underexposed!

Thanks for posting that, I've not seen anything like that in my other searches but I guess it makes sense that varying the voltage will throw out the meter.... is my thinking right on this:
Increased voltage = higher output from the photo-voltaic cell = camera thinks scene is brighter than it is = under exposes image.
Changing ISO fools camera into thinking film is faster than it really is so adjusts exposure back to compensate.

you are absolutely right in your analysis.

Cool - batteries have been ordered so I'll let you know how I get on.

It's been ages since I used film - any suggestions on what brand to go for that's easily available? Going to get my OM-10, Trip 35 and the 35-EC up and running for a bit of fun.

Fuji and Kodak are the 2 popular ones; and Ilford for B/W. You can also get C41 B/W, which can be processed in any colour lab. But a semi pro-lab gets you a print without any colour cast.

I use 7dayshop to buy film and club 35 to print

Back