Olympus OM-D E-M1X, maybe

Name
Mr Compatible Ink
Edit My Images
No
Did a search for Olympus OM-D E-M1X and didn't find anything, so not sure if this has been discussed previously, does anyone have any further info on the new camera's imminent release, supposedly on the 24th?

Digital Camera world's take here

Trusted Reviews here

Teaser trailer

I'm instantly turned off by the fact that apparently it will not be full frame.

Apologies if this is old news :)

Did a search for Olympus OM-D E-M1X and didn't find anything, so not sure if this has been discussed previously, does anyone have any further info on the new camera's imminent release, supposedly on the 24th?

Digital Camera world's take here

Trusted Reviews here

Teaser trailer

I'm instantly turned off by the fact that apparently it will not be full frame.

Apologies if this is old news :)
If rumours are to be believed, its an Olympus E-M1 model, what on earth made you think it was going to be full frame?

Last edited:
If rumours are to be believed, its an Olympus E-M1 model, what on earth made you think it was going to be full frame?

Precisely, Olympus have said time and again they will never go full frame, I don't know why anyone would be surprised on this one. It's not aimed at full frame users, it's aimed at sports and wildlife shooters already using the M43 system but want faster shooting, better battery life and there's new tech like hand-held high-res modes. It'll no doubt have the best IBIS system to date on any camera body. Not for me, but I can see why it'll attract some.

My bad, i will just have to wait and see what Panasonic come up with.

I don't mind huge for full frame, i just think huge for micro four thirds is a contradiction, but what do i know?

It's also huge by all accounts!

It's FF, it's no bigger than a D750. There's some who complain the likes of the A7 series are too small for FF, especially when you attach the much larger lenses. I think if you're going FF weight is not going to be a priority

Last edited:
There's some information and pictures about the new Olympus EM1X on this site. https://www.43rumors.com/

Of course, these are rumours rather than cast iron facts, but generally, most of their predictions have been reasonably accurate. I think the biggest problem it faces is the alleged price of circa $3000 dollars, at that price it would be a very niche camera in a niche market unless it has some sort of revolutionary capability.

It's FF, it's no bigger than a D750. There's some who complain the likes of the A7 series are too small for FF, especially when you attach the much larger lenses. I think if you're going FF weight is not going to be a priority

I know FF cameras are generally larger...my comment is that as a FF camera the S1 look BIG (several YouTubers explicitly commented on it's size...certaintly bigger than a D750). Of course until we get full specs we won't know for sure.

I know FF cameras are generally larger...my comment is that as a FF camera the S1 look BIG (several YouTubers explicitly commented on it's size...certaintly bigger than a D750). Of course until we get full specs we won't know for sure.

I don't think they are concerned about it's size, as it'll possibly have better IBIS than any other FF ML right now, if the G9 is anything to go by [6.5 stops] - they are also hinting at a similar hand held high res mode as the Oly EmX, which could be amazing for a FF camera

Panasonic also announced a fast wide angle m4/3 zoom at Photokina.

I'm off to the Societies trade show in London tomorrow, Panasonic will be there and might hopefully see more about their new range.
Will bung the GX9 in my rucksack in case there's anything worth grabbing a photo or two of.

Panasonic also announced a fast wide angle m4/3 zoom at Photokina.

I'm off to the Societies trade show in London tomorrow, Panasonic will be there and might hopefully see more about their new range.
Will bung the GX9 in my rucksack in case there's anything worth grabbing a photo or two of.

They will very possibly have at least dummy units of the S series, get one in your hands and let us know how it feels ;)

They will very possibly have at least dummy units of the S series, get one in your hands and let us know how it feels ;)

That's the plan, guessing it will be very similar to the G9 size wise

I saw a side by side, the S1 will be a fair bit chunkier, must try find a decent side by side. If it was G9 sized that would be pretty neat for FF IMO

Not been back long, only had a mock up or possibly pre production model of the S1 which could only be seen not touched.
Bigger than a G9 (which mightily impressed me and I was very tempted to buy) from memory and judging purely by eye I would say the size is roughly that of a Canon 40D or Nikon D300

Back