Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Going to do mine in a bit too. How does it update the lenses? Does it prompt you during the body update or is it something different?

Going to do mine in a bit too. How does it update the lenses? Does it prompt you during the body update or is it something different?

When you use the updater software it checks the connected lens and lets you know of all possible updates. You just do one update and then the other one

Haven't done mine yet

I havent done much with the camera since the update.

Well I only just got mine and did the upgrade straightaway so I dont have any experience of it before. I'm still getting to grips with how everything works. However the one thing I think that is really good is the Simulated OVF.

Well I only just got mine and did the upgrade straightaway so I dont have any experience of it before. I'm still getting to grips with how everything works. However the one thing I think that is really good is the Simulated OVF.
Intriguing, can I ask why you like the simulated OVF as I don't get this feature tbh? You're not getting the nice optics of a good OVF and you're losing one of the key benefits of the EVF ie seeing the final image before you shoot.

Intriguing, can I ask why you like the simulated OVF as I don't get this feature tbh? You're not getting the nice optics of a good OVF and you're losing one of the key benefits of the EVF ie seeing the final image before you shoot.

Not sure exactly why I like it but it just looks good. It seems more useful particularly in low light. It works well in conjunction with live view on the monitor meaning you can have the best of both worlds.

Really? I've got an OMD-EM5 mk1 which I've been really happy with for 2 years but been toying with getting an EM1 to add these new features, especially with regard to using legacy lenses. Don't think I'll bother now.
I just got the EM1 and its amazing

Really? I've got an OMD-EM5 mk1 which I've been really happy with for 2 years but been toying with getting an EM1 to add these new features, especially with regard to using legacy lenses. Don't think I'll bother now.
I thought you were asking about the upgrade. Where the Olympus software is shoit.

The EM5ii itself is ok. Like the EM1, is hugely better than the EM5 mk1 when it comes to ergonomics.

Last edited:
Any update is a bonus nowadays with a camera that is over 2 years old.
Im no pro and only played with some of the features but silent shutter is a nice add on and guess the biggest addition is the inbuild stacking for macro and landscape. Havent tried out the new 4K timelaspe yet tho.

Essentially the same camera as the EM5 mk1 though.
They are very different to use I have both.I use the EM5 when I want a small set up or as a second camera but for features ease of use I prefer the EM1.

Last edited:
Can we safely assume an EM1 MkII is around the corner?

Really tempted to pull the trigger today on the WEX EM1/12-40/40-150 deal but after looking at the EM5 II as well I can't help but feel the line-up is a little skewed at the moment with the 'lesser' models offering things that the flagship doesn't.

Really happy with the Panasonic G7 so will keep that for a 15mm 1.7 / 42.5mm 1.2 combo, but like the idea of having a pro Olympus body for the 40-150 2.8.

Really tempted to pull the trigger today on the WEX EM1/12-40/40-150 deal but after looking at the EM5 II as well I can't help but feel the line-up is a little skewed at the moment with the 'lesser' models offering things that the flagship doesn't.

Really happy with the Panasonic G7 so will keep that for a 15mm 1.7 / 42.5mm 1.2 combo, but like the idea of having a pro Olympus body for the 40-150 2.8.
It's around the corner, but how big that corner is no-one knows ;)

After the recent firmware update the only thing the EM5ii has that the EM1 doesn't is slightly better stabilisation but that's it. The EM1 still has phase detect AF, higher FPS with CAF and the added controls plus, now, focus stacking. Olympus have put it firmly back at the top of the tree, and bravo to them!

Edit: the mk 2 will be Spring 2016 earliest

Last edited:
After the recent firmware update the only thing the EM5ii has that the EM1 doesn't is slightly better stabilisation but that's it. The EM1 still has phase detect AF, higher FPS with CAF and the added controls plus, now, focus stacking. Olympus have put it firmly back at the top of the tree, and bravo to them!
I believe the sensor on the EM5-II is better though, slightly less noise.

But I have to say I'm impressed by the updates Olly bring out overall, they really help prevent the need for upgraditis.

Last edited:
I believe the sensor on the EM5-II is better though, slightly less noise.

But that is nothing to do with the range hierarchy as it has always been like that since the original EM5, it's the small price to pay for better AF.

Also, I've seen nothing yet to show the 5ii is better at long exposure as the 5ii also has a Panasonic sensor, not a Sony one (I think).

But that is nothing to do with the range hierarchy as it has always been like that since the original EM5, it's the small price to pay for better AF.

Also, I've seen nothing yet to show the 5ii is better at long exposure as the 5ii also has a Panasonic sensor, not a Sony one (I think).
yep, I'd trade it for better AF all day long. Being fortunate to own the D750 too I do find c-af of the EM5-II disappointing. Not sure how far off the EM1 is from the D750?

After the recent firmware update the only thing the EM5ii has that the EM1 doesn't is slightly better stabilisation but that's it.

Thanks, as wonderful as firmware updates are it makes reading up on and comparing cameras really difficult, all the reviews are out of date!

Oh how quickly "Hi res" mode is forgotten!
16 Megapixels? Pah!

Ha ha, yes, well...

If you could do the hi-res with focus stacking, now that would be cool.

Rumour has it that the 1ii will have hand holdable hi-res mode.

EM-1 and lenses updated.Focus bracketing works great on all m4/3 lenses.Focus stacking works ok on the 60mm macro except the images are under exposed even after adding + exposure adjustment.Anybody having the same problem?

For the avoidance of doubt, does the focus bracketing on the EM5ii definitely work with the Panasonic Leica 45mm Macro? I photograph UK wild orchids and currently use a GH3. I focus stack by moving the focus manually but the time that takes means that the flower is likely to have moved in the wind making the Helicon stacking process more difficult. Because of old rugby injuries I need a fully articulated screen so the EM5ii would seem to be a good solution, though I would also look at EM1ii if that has a fully articulated screen as I would ideally prefer the larger body.
Keith’s post seems to suggest I could use the 45mm Panasonic with focus bracketing but not the focus stacking which is currently only on the EM1, is that correct?
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Last edited:
For the avoidance of doubt, does the focus bracketing on the EM5ii definitely work with the Panasonic Leica 45mm Macro? I photograph UK wild orchids and currently use a GH3. I focus stack by moving the focus manually but the time that takes means that the flower is likely to have moved in the wind making the Helicon stacking process more difficult. Because of old rugby injuries I need a fully articulated screen so the EM5ii would seem to be a good solution, though I would also look at EM1ii if that has a fully articulated screen as I would ideally prefer the larger body.
Keith’s post seems to suggest I could use the 45mm Panasonic with focus bracketing but not the focus stacking which is currently only on the EM1, is that correct?
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Focus bracketing works with Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 lenses.Stacking with Olympus 60mm macro,12-40 pro and the 40-150 pro.I have only tried this on the EM1.

Last edited:
EM-1 and lenses updated.Focus bracketing works great on all m4/3 lenses.Focus stacking works ok on the 60mm macro except the images are under exposed even after adding + exposure adjustment.Anybody having the same problem?
No I'm not having that problem at all. Mine worked brilliantly straight after the update.

Thanks Keith, can anyone confirm focus bracketing works with Panasonic lenses on the EM5ii
Jeff

Last edited:
Can't confirm that on the EM5ii as I only have the EM1, but I've just tested focus bracketing on it with the PanaLeica 45 Macro and it works fine. The focus stacking option in the menu is greyed out with that lens, but becomes available with a supported Oly lens like the 60 macro. I'd assume it would all be the same on the EM5ii, but assumptions are there to be proved wrong!

Only limited help I realise, but if anyone fancies sending me their EM5ii I'd be happy to repeat the tests with that :)

Managed to snag a nearly new E-M1 for £450 today (which feels like a good deal), so I'm now part of the club. Decisions, decisions on lens(es) next...

If your frame of reference is an SLR then you will only ever be disappointed with the battery life of a CSC. The 'shots' rating isn't very useful either as a CSC uses power even when it's not shooting, which an SLR doesn't in a practical fashion.

Back