Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm just awaiting a buyer to get their act together so i can push forward with my M43 purchase. I am torn I have to say, love the looks of the Oly cameras, but I also love the look of the G80. Even when it comes to the Olys it's tough, do I want the better body em5II with only one lens? or get an om10II and a zoom to boot? Decisions ...
Which lenses are you considering?

Had a long weekend on Anglesey and took the Pen F along with my Nikon kit.

I had the Nikon setup on a tripod in one position for the sunset but used the Oly to just wander around and get a few shots.

Handheld, 3 bracketed shots - I used the normal and 2 stops over exposed to create the final image.

South Stack by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:

I had the Nikon setup on a tripod in one position for the sunset but used the Oly to just wander around and get a few shots.

Handheld, 3 bracketed shots - I used the normal and 2 stops over exposed to create the final image.

Dave.
Nice shot Dave.
I often shoot with one camera on the tripod one handheld. All too often I prefer the handheld shots.

Thought I'd test the new EM5MK2 out in the studio on a Geranium. Unfortunately the flower was past it's best.

I'm impressed with what the little camera can do though, even with "cheap" lenses (and not so cheap).

Geranium 1 - test shot by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Geranium 2 - Test shot by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Geranium 3 - Test shot by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Nice set of flower shots there.

How you getting on with the 12-40 on the EM5 MKII. I keep adding one to the basket in Camera Jungle but I can't quite make my mind up. I'm worried it might be too big. I see you've also got the Panny 14-45, great lens for the price used to have one on my EM5 MKI. Thinking about getting another and then maybe a good prime too.

Last edited:

Dave.

Cracking shot, very nicely done.

The Panasonic 25 1.7 - which is very cheap over here atm, and maybe the Oly 40-150 to get me started.
I picked up the 40-150mm f4-5.6 R used for £80 and it’s a great performer optically. Build quality’s pants though, feels like a toy but it doesn’t bother me as it performs where it matters.

I picked up the 40-150mm f4-5.6 R used for £80 and it’s a great performer optically. Build quality’s pants though, feels like a toy but it doesn’t bother me as it performs where it matters.

Ah! It was you took the one I was eyeing on MPB? :D I had it in my trade list and it went red/unavailable just recently.

How you getting on with the 12-40 on the EM5 MKII. I keep adding one to the basket in Camera Jungle but I can't quite make my mind up. I'm worried it might be too big. I see you've also got the Panny 14-45, great lens for the price used to have one on my EM5 MKI. Thinking about getting another and then maybe a good prime too.

The 12-40 pro on EM5ii is pretty much my standard city-break kit (maybe with the 40-150 kit lens too) and I find it fine, I've even used it on my EPM2 with reasonable success.

I did recently get a 14-150 as I'm quite partial to a superzoom for travel but after a trip to Tokyo I think I will revert to the 12-40 in most situations as the extra 2mm on the wide end are very useful in a tall city, as is the constant f/2.8 (and of course, the optical quality is fantastic).

The 12-40 pro on EM5ii is pretty much my standard city-break kit (maybe with the 40-150 kit lens too) and I find it fine, I've even used it on my EPM2 with reasonable success.

I did recently get a 14-150 as I'm quite partial to a superzoom for travel but after a trip to Tokyo I think I will revert to the 12-40 in most situations as the extra 2mm on the wide end are very useful in a tall city, as is the constant f/2.8 (and of course, the optical quality is fantastic).
I got the tiny 9-18mm to cover all wide situations to go with the 14-150.
It fits in a belt pouch or pocket so that I can avoid being restricted by a camera bag.

Last edited:

I'm enjoying it, it's not big or heavy and you don't need a grip to help balance the camera / lens combo.

I got the tiny 9-18mm to cover all wide situations to go with the 14-150.
It fits in a belt pouch or pocket so that I can avoid being restricted by a camera bag.

I have one of them but I was carrying around the 17mm 1.8 as I always find a fast prime is useful and the focal length is growing on me, although this time I was reminded why I really don't like that lens... The 14-150 did as well as I'd have wanted though and will certainly be keeping it - an EM5ii, 14-150 & iPad Pro are all you need for a super lightweight but high quality and versatile travel system.

I'm very please with the iPad, with LR CC and Affinity (for panos and HDR) you can really cover most things the full desktop versions can (the only thing I'm missing are the Olympus colour calibration profiles).

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it, it's not big or heavy and you don't need a grip to help balance the camera / lens combo.
Well I finally pressed the trigger and bought a 12-40 2.8 off camera jungle for £489. just need to wait patiently now for my camera and lens to arrive.

Last edited:
I think I must have had the country's only bad copy of this lens. Just wasn't sharp so it went back. Other half has a great copy of it but it's silver!

I think I must have had the country's only bad copy of this lens. Just wasn't sharp so it went back. Other half has a great copy of it but it's silver!
I bought the silver one. As the sharpness is always better on the silver ones.
No just kidding.
Don't get the silver one as the paint is easily worn away showing black through. The black would look better after a while.

I bought the silver one. As the sharpness is always better on the silver ones.
No just kidding
Don't get the silver one as the paint is easily worn away showing black through. The black would look better after a while.
I've got the silver (and previously the black) and so far haven't managed to wear the paint :woot:

I thought you were a fan of silver ;)
I actually prefer black lenses but on silver bodies ;) I've got the silver 40-150mm and 45mm f1.8 though as they were bargains.

I tried live composite on the EM5-II for the first time on fireworks but really didn't like the results, I found the time taken to "prepare" for live compo made it hard to time the shots and then the highlights were still blown, anyone had any sucess and got any tips about settings etc.?

This is just a normal 1 second exposure

52-2017-Colour by TheWub, on Flickr

Found out that my OM-D M10 II with 14-42mm has been delivered yet I'm still be at work for another 3 hours - looking forward to getting to grips with it later on!

Before I start using it properly though, what accessories does everyone recommend using with the M10? As it's a complete ecosystem change, I'll effectively be starting from scratch with the exception of a memory card. I was thinking a nice new compact bag (with space for 1-2 lenses) wrist strap, spare battery and polarising filter as a starting point, before expanding this with a zoom lens.

I opted for losing some of the small factor and adding a cheap ebay grip, mind you it was for the 100-400.

DSC_7959.jpg

I tried live composite on the EM5-II for the first time on fireworks but really didn't like the results, I found the time taken to "prepare" for live compo made it hard to time the shots and then the highlights were still blown, anyone had any sucess and got any tips about settings etc.?

This is just a normal 1 second exposure

52-2017-Colour by TheWub, on Flickr
Lovely shot Chris nicely done.

Before I start using it properly though, what accessories does everyone recommend using with the M10? As it's a complete ecosystem change, I'll effectively be starting from scratch with the exception of a memory card. I was thinking a nice new compact bag (with space for 1-2 lenses) wrist strap, spare battery and polarising filter as a starting point, before expanding this with a zoom lens.
I have the Olympus Street Case M and L for my E-M10 and collection of bits - looks are marmite but I like mine.
The M is ideal for the camera with one lens attached and another 1 or 2 lenses next to it. The front pocket for SD cards, filters and a tiny tripod.
Mine has been in use for several years
The M came with my PEN camera.
The L I bought on eBay for about £25 and I can carry the body and all my lenses
Looking around they seem to be thin on the ground - I certainly wouldn't pay £50 on eBay.

If you're not a fan of PDF manuals I bought a printed one from this eBay seller which was well worth the fiver. I only got a quick start guide with my Mki.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-...UAL-GUIDE-HANDBOOK-171-PAGES-A5-/252673637930

Back