1. Ajophotog

Ajophotog He's macroscopic !

Name:
    Alby
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Has anyone used the Sigma 150-600mm contemporary on the E-m1, (either versions)? I would be interested to see and hear of the results please.

footman likes this.
  2. footman

footman

Name:
    Laurence
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wish you hadn’t posted that :D, I’m periodically tortured by my GAS tendency to buy a Metabones adapter. Thus far I’ve been able to dismiss it as a vanity project but I’m not sure I can withstand the pressure!

Phiggys likes this.
  3. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
  4. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    akr, Mark Johnson, Phiggys and 4 others like this.
  5. Thunderbird010

Thunderbird010

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  6. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    We have a new observation wheel in Chesterfield for a few weeks. I'll try to get onto it at some point, although I'm not exactly sure what there is to see :LOL: Here's some pics of the wheel for now.

[​IMG]
    P2075020
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    P2074995
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    P2074998
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    P2075002
    by TDG-77, on Flickr

Still not sure why my Olympus images appear soft when posted from Flickr, I've tried posting different size images but it doesn't help :(

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    that wheel reminds me of a friend of mine who bought his wife a Hamster fur coat, she absolutely loved it and everything was hunky dory until they went away for the weekend to Blackpool,she thought she would show off her new coat and all was good until they went to the amusement park,
    no matter how he tried he couldn't get her off the big wheel :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :olympus:

akr, Knikki, Bebop and 3 others like this.
  8. Downton Mini

Downton Mini

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The good news is guys he's here all week! :p

SsSsSsSsSnake, Cagey75 and snerkler like this.
  9. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Where's the face-palm smilie? this may do ... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

SsSsSsSsSnake likes this.
  10. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Here
    :facepalm:

But this is probably more apt
    :tumbleweed:

AMcUK and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  11. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

Dang it! I'm going blind! :crying: The :facepalm: was more for me thinking it was a genuine story till the end :LOL:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    snerkler and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  12. Donnie

Donnie

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
  13. magicolor1

magicolor1

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You actually beleived the bit at the beginning about the coat being made of hamster fur??? :D

snerkler, Cagey75 and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  14. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    :LOL::ROFLMAO:

15. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    :LOL::ROFLMAO::giggle:

16. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That's what I get for skim reading :ROFLMAO:

17. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Last one i promise.
    Got a small piece of wood stuck in my ear,a friend suggested putting a peanut in followed by some chocolate.i tried his suggestion and it came out a treat :LOL::ROFLMAO:

srhmoto, Bebop and Downton Mini like this.
  18. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

That extra caramel though :puke:

snerkler and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  19. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    A few years ago I went to a free Olympus try it and see type of event where I got to try out different lenses and lighting set ups and have recently re-edit some of the photos from it so I thought I'd share them. I know they're far from perfect but it wasn't a proper studio session, just a 'try this and take a shot' kind of scenario.

[​IMG]
    PA243433-Edit-2a
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    PA243435
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    PA243449-Edit
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    PA243467-Edit-2
    by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    PA243484-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

20. Ajophotog

Ajophotog He's macroscopic !

Name:
    Alby
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Blimey...showing your age, there not called treats anymore are they? Not since 1988 it seems.

21. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Reintroduced in 2009

snerkler likes this.
  22. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I see 1 was with the 75 and the others 45? Did they let you use the 75? Did you rate it much over the 45?

Phiggys likes this.
  23. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Didn't really get chance to put it through it's paces tbh as both were stopped down for the majority of the shots. Certainly stopped down it's very good, but then so is the 45mm. The 75mm is in a different league build wise though, feels like a proper pro lens rather than a bit toy like.

24. stupar

stupar

Name:
    Stuart
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    chris., Phiggys, AMcUK and 8 others like this.
  25. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
  26. Pag

Pag

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've just got back from a trip to Costa Rica and realized how many shots I missed because my Oly 14-150 didn't quite have the reach. Has anyone got the 75-300mm 1:4.8 - 6.7 II, and if so what do you think of it? Would it be a good buy?

27. Swissy

Swissy

Name:
    Giovanni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've never used the 75-300mm but i do own the Panasonic 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 Mark 1 and i find it suits my needs well.

It's faster, and reviews online seem to suggest it's sharper too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  28. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    I had both the Olympus 75-300mm and Panasonic 100-300mm. Both are 'ok', IQ is about on par with the 40-150mm f4-5.6, although for me that Panny was a touch sharper at the long end. The panny obviously lets more light in too but is noticeably heavier. Both struggle in terms of AF at the long end, a lot of hunting (this was on the EM5-II).

29. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

How does it compare in terms of CA/fringing? I find the 40-150 4-5.6 is terrible if you shoot into the light, blue fringing can be very strong. I've been pondering on one of the 300mm zooms for a while as I need more reach, but I think the 100-300 mkII is the best of them and is pricey enough, for me at least. DXO mark have the Olympus 75-300 mkII down as sharper than the original 100-300, they don't include the mkII of that which leads me to think it's optically identical?

30. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    I've never noticed CA's particularly on the 100-300 or the 40-150mm, but then I don't shoot much with the 40-150mm. My own observation, and every other user review I've seen would disagree with DXO, but YMMV.

31. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I only started to notice it more so just recently tbh, since that ball of fire in the sky has begun to show itself and provide back/side lighting. Maybe I should get a hood for it to cut out some of that strong side light when shooting through the window.

32. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Can’t see how a hood will stop CA’s tbh, flare yes but not CA’s?

33. Pag

Pag

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Excuse my ignorance, CA's?

34. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yeah sorry, I've experienced some flare also. The CA I get is strong blue when I shot say, a bird on a tree with strong back lighting. Flaring only happens when I shoot through the window and there's strong side on sunlight, but this can happen with any lens

CA = Chromatic aberration. Blue or purple fringes around the edge of your subject where there's strong highlight backdrop. Usually seen on tree branches, or in my case, around the edge of small birds on those branches

This would be a severe case:

[​IMG]

snerkler likes this.
  35. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    I’ll do some testing with my 40-150mm if we ever get any sun this year and see what my findings are. I thought all Olympus lenses had corrections applied automatically in the RAW files though?

36. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Is that not Panasonic? I know they do corrections in cam, not sure about Olympus. The CA I have experienced isn't near as bad as the example above, but it's been noticeable enough. I'll see if I can find any examples from my own folders - I do tend to delete the RAW folder after I've done with the edits of that batch. I am using an old em5, maybe on later models they introduced corrections?

Phiggys likes this.
  37. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hmmm, reading around it does not appear that Olympus apply CA correction, only geometric distortion such as barrel distortion. However, I’m yet to find anything conclusive.

Phiggys likes this.
  38. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No

I should probably try some kind of comparison test using the lens on both the Oly and Pany bodies I own, but I'm a lazy SOB :D I think Panasonic do correct, but only for their own lenses, and with Olympus there isn't any in body correction. But just on the CA front, it might be interesting enough to compare different bodies with the same lens

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Phiggys and snerkler like this.
  39. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    The consensus is that Olly definitely correct barrel distortion and the like.

Phiggys likes this.
  40. Nawty

Nawty

Name:
    Ned
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Oly bodies do correct CA, they are automatically applied even with raw files although that can sometimes not be enough in extreme conditions (my 17 1.8 springs to mind). Never noticed CA on my 40-150 though and certainly not that bad.

Something in my head is saying on lateral CA (purple/blue) is corrected and not vertical (green/red) or maybe they other way around.

Edit: they definitely apply distortion correction, that’s vital for the lens design which are designed on the assumption you can correct so they can focus on other qualities.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Greytop and snerkler like this.