Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've had the Canon 100-400 MkI at some point and I think a suitable replacement could be the Panasonic 100-400 (which will give an equivalent FOV of 200-800mm). IQ is very good, but the 40-150mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4 will be better.

Incidentally, the Canon 100-400 was one of the reasons I decided to check out m4/3 because I almost never took it out of the house due to its size and weight. On that basis, I also didn't think it made any sense for me to save up for one of Canon's supertelephoto lenses. My initial plan was to use m4/3 for travel but the IQ and ease of use is such that I use it 95% of the time now. The only downside is shooting at super high ISO's is noisier but because of IBIS this can often be avoided (but not always).
I've found the EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm to be at least on par with the D850 and Tamron 150-600mm combo I had, the 100-400mm is better than I thought it would be tbh. Noise is an issue though, and with it being f6.3 it's difficult to keep ISO down shooting wildlife. However, I've found it's not just ISO that's the issue and is obviously light itself. If shooting something in the shadows it can still be quite noisy even if you lower the shutter speed to bring ISO down. It just means I'm going to have to be that bit more selective than I was shooting with the D850.

It was weight that made me look at m4/3 for birding, my 1dxmkII and 600f4mkII was being used less and less so I reluctantly had to let them go ,I now use the OMD MK II 300F4 PRO - over all im very happy with it ISO above 800 /1600 is not ideal and the CAF can sometimes be a little hit and miss BUT the camera is so fast I nearly always get some shots in a burst that are good .
I waiting to see how the EM 1X performs and may well get that if the CAF is just a little better it is said to be so I hope it is.
but I have no regrets on M 4/3
Rob

I've found the EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm to be at least on par with the D850 and Tamron 150-600mm combo I had, the 100-400mm is better than I thought it would be tbh. Noise is an issue though, and with it being f6.3 it's difficult to keep ISO down shooting wildlife. However, I've found it's not just ISO that's the issue and is obviously light itself. If shooting something in the shadows it can still be quite noisy even if you lower the shutter speed to bring ISO down. It just means I'm going to have to be that bit more selective than I was shooting with the D850.

The 850 is no doubt a lot better, but I was looking through my old Flickr images last night, doing the cull because I haven't decided whether to go pro or not yet - and I was surprised at some of my old D800E images, there was obvious noise in some images at pretty low [for FF] ISO levels. ISO 800 shots were pretty grainy in some cases, but of course I don't remember if I had shot these well underexposed and brought them back up in post, but it was more than a few images.

The 850 is no doubt a lot better, but I was looking through my old Flickr images last night, doing the cull because I haven't decided whether to go pro or not yet - and I was surprised at some of my old D800E images, there was obvious noise in some images at pretty low [for FF] ISO levels. ISO 800 shots were pretty grainy in some cases, but of course I don't remember if I had shot these well underexposed and brought them back up in post, but it was more than a few images.
I never use NR in post with my D850 up to 6400 ISO.

I never use NR in post with my D850 up to 6400 ISO.

I think even the 810 improved on ISO performance over the 800, and I've read that the 850 is even better again so I'm not surprised. I do have some ISO 4000+ gig shots that are very usable, it's just weird that I see noise at lower end, I expect it at the higher end and it performed better there.

I think there is always a very large amount of rose tinted glasses when thinking about past cameras, this is because you remember what you thought about that camera when you were judging it by the standards of the time, rather than standards of now.

For example, I remember thinking my D700 was simply magic in terms of shadow recovery, highlight recovery and high ISO noise.

When I switched to m43 I compared a load of old raw files to comparable images shot on m43 and the differences in the above factors aren't very much (and in a few ways the m43 files are better). The images from the D700 do look gorgeous though, it was the last Nikon before they changed their colour profiles.

I think there is always a very large amount of rose tinted glasses when thinking about past cameras, this is because you remember what you thought about that camera when you were judging it by the standards of the time, rather than standards of now.

For example, I remember thinking my D700 was simply magic in terms of shadow recovery, highlight recovery and high ISO noise.

When I switched to m43 I compared a load of old raw files to comparable images shot on m43 and the differences in the above factors aren't very much (and in a few ways the m43 files are better). The images from the D700 do look gorgeous though, it was the last Nikon before they changed their colour profiles.

Could well be a lot of it alright, I think on top though Flickr compressing old images on the site doesn't help matters, had a look through some more and they are definitely noisier now than I remember them being

Cheers for the thoughts guys, if I like it I think I’m go do the unthinkable and sell all my Canon gear - I’ve had Canon since 1977 when I bought an AE-1!

A bit like me GordonM I had the AE-1 :)

Rob.

I had lots of missed focus shots using the E-M1II and CAF on the same scene as below a couple of weeks ago, probably not helped by the fact that the scene is entirely backlit. Having read a bit more on fine-tuning the AF I have now selected "mode3" for the AF scanner instead of "mode 2" which is the default. I had a much higher keeper rate today so I think it might have made a difference. I also have CAF sensitivity set to +2, but that was unchanged today as compared to last time.

E-M1II + 40-150 f/2.8 @ f/4.0:

20190217_093853_068 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Still learning with the E-M1 and the Panny 100-400. Got this shot out the window of the car, it was in the middle of the road eating a pheasent, stopped and shot this when it took of from the woods it was hiding in. Anyone tell me what it is please?
Raptor-1.jpg by R Hillman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Still learning with the E-M1 and the Panny 100-400. Got this shot out the window of the car, it was in the middle of the road eating a pheasent, stopped and shot this when it took of from the woods it was hiding in. Anyone tell me what it is please?
Great spot, looks like a buzzard to me but I'm no bird expert.

Not the greatest shot but was having a play with the newly acquired 100-400mm again today and have to say I'm pretty impressed with the detail (might be best viewed on Flickr). This is about a 50% crop.

P2170416
by TDG-77, on Flickr

And then another long tailed tit photo

P2170420-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Cheers for the thoughts guys, if I like it I think I’m go do the unthinkable and sell all my Canon gear - I’ve had Canon since 1977 when I bought an AE-1!
I loved that camera and then a nice man in a camera shop in Ramsgate [worked over there for 4 years] let me buy an A1 and pay him £20 a month to pay it off. I have both systems at the moment but not the Oly 300mm; can't quite justify it... yet. :exit:

Not the greatest shot but was having a play with the newly acquired 100-400mm again today and have to say I'm pretty impressed with the detail (might be best viewed on Flickr). This is about a 50% crop.

P2170416
by TDG-77, on Flickr

And then another long tailed tit photo

P2170420-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr
The detail on both of those images is amazing. I'm so itching to pull the trigger on the MKII, not that I could afford the 100-400 as well.

Sooooo, I might be coming to the end of m43 journey v2. I hardly ever use it, maybe for some car shots for IG and the occasional business trip but I have a rx100 m2 as well..

I bought a p25 f1.4 in the hope it might re-kindle my desire but it hasn't

Sooooo, I might be coming to the end of m43 journey v2. I hardly ever use it, maybe for some car shots for IG and the occasional business trip but I have a rx100 m2 as well..

I bought a p25 f1.4 in the hope it might re-kindle my desire but it hasn't
Do you still have the D500?

Well I’m seriously impressed with the EM1-II IBIS, I can manage handheld shots at 400mm (800mm eq) with a 1/2 shutter :eek: Strangely the OIS of the lens gives better stabilisation in the VF, but not with the final image so I’m better off with IBIS. You can see the IBIS working in the VF, it’s just not as steady as the OIS, but when you actually fully press the shutter you can hear the IBIS going into overdrive ;)

Can anyone recommend a good relatively cheap remote shutter release for the EM1-II please as my one for the EM1 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixel-Wire...1-spons&keywords=Olympus+remote+shutter&psc=1) doesn't have the right connector :rolleyes: The only one I can find on amazon is the wired Olympus one :cautious:

Anything that will fit a Canon I believe

edit
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOOT-RS-60E3-Shutter-Release-Control-x/dp/B01M7RQFMG/

Edit again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixel-Oppi...0500419&sr=8-17&keywords=Canon+remote+shutter

Last edited:
So it's the same shutter release as Canon? Nice one, thanks (y)

I dont have the MKII but is the same 2.5mm jack plug a quick search throws up these results but I also remember reading it in a test

I dont have the MKII but is the same 2.5mm jack plug a quick search throws up these results but I also remember reading it in a test
Thanks, much appreciated.

I had a RS-60 E3 for sale at a tenner in the classifieds last week, withdrew it because of no interest.
Let me know of you want it, can always bung a wanted up to comply with the rules
Doesn't fit the E-M1 unfortunately, does work with the ii and most Fuji cameras too

Great catch!

im considering M43 as my upgrade path from an entry level dslr, the images here are fantastic and reinforcing that thought.
trying to decide between a G80 and the additional costing G9/oly em1 II.

I had a RS-60 E3 for sale at a tenner in the classifieds last week, withdrew it because of no interest.
Let me know of you want it, can always bung a wanted up to comply with the rules
Doesn't fit the E-M1 unfortunately, does work with the ii and most Fuji cameras too
Thanks but I'm wanting a remote shutter note a wired one.
im considering M43 as my upgrade path from an entry level dslr, the images here are fantastic and reinforcing that thought.
trying to decide between a G80 and the additional costing G9/oly em1 II.
Depends what you mean by upgrade? In terms of functions etc then it could well be, in terms of IQ it probably won't be. What DSLR do you have?

The moon taken tonight with the Olympus EM1 Mark II and Panny Leica 100-400mm

P2180758
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks but I'm wanting a remote shutter note a wired one.
I use my phone or tablet with my GX9, it's got a low battery use Bluetooth option.
Not sure if the Mii has that, it's very useful as a shutter release.

I use my phone or tablet with my GX9, it's got a low battery use Bluetooth option.
Not sure if the Mii has that, it's very useful as a shutter release.
I don't like using my phone as a shutter release, especially when out and about as I'm likely to drop it ;)

Back