Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Can't reset the camera, as it does not respond to the Menu button being pressed at start-up. (At no point is there any text information displayed on the LCD or EVF.)

E-M1 had a shutter issue which causes a problem that sounds like the one you are experiencing.
Think I would look into sending it back, any repair would probably be more than the cameras value

E-M1 had a shutter issue which causes a problem that sounds like the one you are experiencing.
Think I would look into sending it back, any repair would probably be more than the cameras value

A new shutter is under a £100 fitted and returned my E-M1 failed at about 125000 actuations

Last edited:
Thanks Alf, that's useful info. A £100 repair bill would be about half the camera's value, I think. So probably just about worth it.

But from a quick search, it seems that most problems reported on various forums are whereby the shutter has jammed closed. In my case, the shutter is not visible after removing the lens. I can see the sensor jump and then resettle (which I think is the IBIS energising and then going back to its rest position).

Thanks Alf, that's useful info. A £100 repair bill would be about half the camera's value, I think. So probably just about worth it.

But from a quick search, it seems that most problems reported on various forums are whereby the shutter has jammed closed. In my case, the shutter is not visible after removing the lens. I can see the sensor jump and then resettle (which I think is the IBIS energising and then going back to its rest position).

Thats sounds like mine
The sensor jumping is the ultrasonic sensor cleaning in 10 years of using Oly 4/3 amd m4/3 I have had to clean a sensor once

Help! E-M1 locks up/shuts down immediately after start-up!

Hope someone here might have some insight:

1 - I recently bought an E-M1, used from a private seller

2 - did quite a few test shots with the 12-40/2.8 Pro - all OK

3 - went out today for a proper shoot to get to know the camera with the 12-40

4 - at King's Lynn, cold but still above freezing

5 - switch on for the first time, camera boots as normal

6 - first test shot, shutter fires but no image appears and camera shuts down

7 - I switch off and back on - and from now on, it always acts up and shuts down

8 - the camera and lens wake up, the EVF flashes with light, LCD backlight comes on such that the LCD looks dark grey, but then the whole camera shuts down

9 - all buttons unresponsive at all times in the process

9 - swapped battery - still the same

10 - back home and swapped lens to the 17mm - still the same

11 - I noticed that if I switch the camera on with my eye at the EVF, then I get to see the live image from the sensor, for the 2-4 seconds before the camera shuts down

12 - does the same with two SD cards and no card at all

13 - watching the start up from the front with no lens, I can see the sensor jump slightly at power-on, and then fall back a little when it shuts down

14 - have taken out the battery and will leave it for a 24-hr period to see if that does a full reset (don't know - read it somewhere)

Any thoughts? :help:
If you can return it I would do, obviously a fault somewhere.

.... What didn't impress you about the Oly 60mm Macro please Jeff? I don't know how much macro work you have done but it's always much trickier unless the subject is inanimate in a studio on a tripod.

I had missed that in-camera focus stacking & merging is an option < That's potentially very useful indeed. This isn't helping me to hang onto my Canon EOS-R full-frame + 100mm Macro !!
The spider I posted earlier was a hand held in camera stack and merge

My cars mascot by Pete Banks, on Flickr

Bit of a warning for others, just had a lens mount adapter arrive today from Gobe. Wanted to play with a manual OM lens on my OMD, but they package it in a cotton bag! Sending it back for a refund as covered in lint. (Sorry for the quick poor quality mobile phone photo) Won't buy from them again.View attachment 260908
Umm, clean it?

Umm, clean it?
I know I could (not sure I would get it all out) but sending your product for use with optical equipment to a customer covered in lint is such a low level failure. It concerns me that it's the tip of the iceberg with their products.

Wow that’s really bad .

Umm, clean it?

Since I replied here Gobe have emailed me advising they are looking at changing the packaging as it's clearly a problem & offered a replacement (wouldn't help as would be the same issue) or a cleaning kit.

Still think it's a very basic mistake, will be careful if I buy anything else from them to check it carefully when it arrives. (Good communication from them, credit there)

Pulled the trigger, just hope I don't end up spending vast sums again like I did with Fuji and never really got on with, the wife is happy(ish) now with her D500 now I have shown her the ropes with it, she loved her D3 and didn't want to part with it for her Fuji......…..anyway I have an E-M1 II and a Olympus M.Zuiko ED 45mm f/1.8 on its way to me, now looking for a 100-400 if anyone is going to be parting ways soon

Pulled the trigger, just hope I don't end up spending vast sums again like I did with Fuji and never really got on with, the wife is happy(ish) now with her D500 now I have shown her the ropes with it, she loved her D3 and didn't want to part with it for her Fuji......…..anyway I have an E-M1 II and a Olympus M.Zuiko ED 45mm f/1.8 on its way to me, now looking for a 100-400 if anyone is going to be parting ways soon

.... Don't worry, if all of us here keep telling ourselves we are not gearsluts we'll be alright :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

full

Last edited:
The spider I posted earlier was a hand held in camera stack and merge

My cars mascot by Pete Banks, on Flickr

.... WOW! I am very impressed. I shoot a lot of minibeasts, mostly dragonflies, in the season and onboard focus stacking might just be the feature which persuades me to sell my full-frame Canon EOS-R + EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro.

[Robin goes off to read about onboard handheld focus stacking in the M1X manual]

If you've just bought it why are you considering a repair bill. Return it for a refund if possible

As mentioned in my original message: used camera, private seller. It was working OK when bought. It's the chance we take when we buy without warranty to save money. (I'm not complaining, just asking for advice from anyone who has had similar issues - seems that OM-D shut-downs are not uncommon.)

As mentioned above, I've got the battery recharged and am half-way through a 24-hour period of no power in the camera to see if that forces a deeper reset. Will post back with what happens next.

Since I replied here Gobe have emailed me advising they are looking at changing the packaging as it's clearly a problem & offered a replacement (wouldn't help as would be the same issue) or a cleaning kit.

Still think it's a very basic mistake, will be careful if I buy anything else from them to check it carefully when it arrives. (Good communication from them, credit there)
I bought a Gobe CPL a couple of years ago, colour cast was outrageous in certain scenarios and it’s put me off buying other products from them.

I bought a Gobe CPL a couple of years ago, colour cast was outrageous in certain scenarios and it’s put me off buying other products from them.
Based on price I'm not expecting a huge amount, trying their products for when I want to experiment. Got a variable ND from them to try also, so cheap I'm expecting odd issue with its quality.

As mentioned above, I've got the battery recharged and am half-way through a 24-hour period of no power in the camera to see if that forces a deeper reset. Will post back with what happens next.

Sorry to hear about this, for what it's worth I regularly take the battery from my E-PL5 out as a spare for my E-M10.
Even after weeks unpowered the E-PL5 just asks me to set the date again nothing else changes.

The good news is that Olympus have a very good reputation for repairs over at the e-group forum, though I've been lucky enough not to need to send my cameras away so far
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/repair_service/index.html

Sorry to hear about this, for what it's worth I regularly take the battery from my E-PL5 out as a spare for my E-M10.
Even after weeks unpowered the E-PL5 just asks me to set the date again nothing else changes.

The good news is that Olympus have a very good reputation for repairs over at the e-group forum, though I've been lucky enough not to need to send my cameras away so far

Thanks for the info. I registered with MyOlympus last night (which is the first support-repair step, just in case). If it is as Alf says above, then £100 to repair would be justifiable.

I did find a few tear-down videos for OM-D cameras, but I'm not sure what I could realistically achieve. :)

Based on price I'm not expecting a huge amount, trying their products for when I want to experiment. Got a variable ND from them to try also, so cheap I'm expecting odd issue with its quality.

.... Although I appreciate you want to buy cheap to experiment, I have to question what value an experiment has if a component is inferior or even doesn't work. Buy cheap, buy twice is what comes to mind.

.... Although I appreciate you want to buy cheap to experiment, I have to question what value an experiment has if a component is inferior or even doesn't work. Buy cheap, buy twice is what comes to mind.
Agree completely, I only apply this logic to low value items, in this case an adaptor ring to convert OM to M43 (fits well which surprised me). Got a variabe ND to try with my little 25mm lens where I wasn't looking for quality in stills but to test for video so again didn't see the value in buying something better.

I didn't apply this attitude to my Circular Polariser which was B+W. It's been worth every penny.

Olympus service is good, the only issue is that it has to go back to Portugal from my experience.

Just in case your GAS is rampant during this Black Friday week....:exit:

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk...ympus-M.ZUIKO-DIGITAL-ED-300mm-f4-IS-Pro-Lens
Phew, still outside my reach ;)
Just had an email from Olly with some Black Friday deals such as a further £200 off the EM1x (£800 in total), money off the EM1-II plus free battery grip plus free 30mm macro, and free lenses with other Olly gear.

The 17mm f1.2 Pro is £300 off to (Wex as well as others) I am tempted.

Does the Panasonic 100-400 work ok with the Olly MC-14
Found the answer :(

Google says no

Last edited:
Does the Panasonic 100-400 work ok with the Olly MC-14
Found the answer :(

Google says no
Definitely not.

.... As I understand it both the Olympus MC-14 and MC-20 Teleconverters are designed to only work with the two current ED PRO lenses but Olympus have officailly announced that they will also work with the forthcoming ED 150-400mm+1.25x PRO expected in the UK next summer.

Don't Panasonic make any teleconverters which will work with their lenses?

Nope

.... As I understand it both the Olympus MC-14 and MC-20 Teleconverters are designed to only work with the two current ED PRO lenses but Olympus have officailly announced that they will also work with the forthcoming ED 150-400mm+1.25x PRO expected in the UK next summer.

I didnt check to be honest

I didnt check to be honest

Panasonic do 2 converters for the 200mm f2.8 prime and 50-200mm f2.8-4.0 zoom.
They are the DMW-TC14 and DMW-TC20.

But nothing for the 100-400

But why would you want to ? It’s already F6.3 at the long end. So that would be F9 with a 1.4x and F13 wide open with the 2x ?

Back