Olympus trip 35 light seals.

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello to the film crowd!
Just picked up 2 Olympus Trip 35s, felt the need to step back a few years!
One is an early model with the chrome button, working but in need of a little tlc. The other is a newer black button type that is to be used as spares.
The back will be replaced on the early one, (with the one off the spare) but the light seals are goosed on both and I cannot seem to find a supplier for them. The ones I found online are either US based or 'out of stock' in UK. Not being up to date with the film side of photgraphy, not sure on the best shops/suppliers to try.
Anyone know a shop around Manchester, or an online supplier I have missed? Does anyone have some material lying around to make my own, or a trip kit that you have spare?
Would appreciate any help to get my Oly up and running.

Im not sure if i can link you up on the forums but i recently bought a sheet of self adhesive felt light seal material on the bay, so long as you have a metal rule or edge and a sharp craft knife its a doodle.
I got it to re seal my 35rc, very similar chassis with slight differences. I read that the trips are easier to do though so if you take your time you will be golden. There are plenty of tutorials and cutting guides online.
There is a guy in Asia doing laser cut seals and skins for loads of cameras including the trips, not the 35's tho.
I've bought a custom leatherette skin for my epl1 off them and its all kosher and above board. Not bad delivery time either. With the re sealing though make sure you are meticulous about cleaning and cover the lens inside the film chamber to avoid gettin any goo in there. You will need plenty of cotton buds and some naptha (lighter fluid) to clean the old adhesive off.
Hit me up if you want the links

I regularly see light seal repair materials on ebay.......not specific for the oly , you would have to cut toshape/size etc but worth a look maybe?

Here is an item number to look at for starters: 220875378094

I've just emailed Jon Goodman, 'Interslice' from ebay to find out what the situation is as I know he had some problems last year with accounts being hijacked and was trying to sort out his own website rather than go through ebay.

I've never had a Trip, so don't know what type of materials it requires.
I do have about 8"x4" each of 1.5mm closed-cell (non adhesive) and 3mm open-cell (sticky backed) foam sheets, if that's any use?

Hi just got two oly trips a few weeks back. One had new light seals and the other needed them. I cleaned the gunk off with a bamboo kebab stick, and used cotton buds and window cleaner to remove the the bits that were left. I then used sticky back felt to replace the seal. Just had my pictures back from the lab and they are fine.

There is a guy in Asia doing laser cut seals and skins for loads of cameras including the trips, not the 35's tho.
I've bought a custom leatherette skin for my epl1 off them and its all kosher and above board. Not bad delivery time either. With the re sealing though make sure you are meticulous about cleaning and cover the lens inside the film chamber to avoid gettin any goo in there. You will need plenty of cotton buds and some naptha (lighter fluid) to clean the old adhesive off.
Hit me up if you want the links

Would love the link for the leatherette kit please Simon!
Thanks for the reply too1

Is it THIS one Simon?

Last edited:
I regularly see light seal repair materials on ebay.......not specific for the oly , you would have to cut toshape/size etc but worth a look maybe?

Here is an item number to look at for starters: 220875378094

Thanks Asha for the item number, bookmarked it!(y)

I've just emailed Jon Goodman, 'Interslice' from ebay to find out what the situation is as I know he had some problems last year with accounts being hijacked and was trying to sort out his own website rather than go through ebay.

Thanks Nick.
I have seen several mentions of interslice, but unable to find a site or an EBay listing. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if you get a reply.

I've never had a Trip, so don't know what type of materials it requires.
I do have about 8"x4" each of 1.5mm closed-cell (non adhesive) and 3mm open-cell (sticky backed) foam sheets, if that's any use?

Brilliant Mike, sounds like just what I want.
If you want to sell the 3mm sticky back, I have a wanted add in the, err, wanted section!

Hi just got two oly trips a few weeks back. One had new light seals and the other needed them. I cleaned the gunk off with a bamboo kebab stick, and used cotton buds and window cleaner to remove the the bits that were left. I then used sticky back felt to replace the seal. Just had my pictures back from the lab and they are fine.

A good tip that Emma! never thought of that.
Just rushed upstairs to look in the 'craft box' but the only felt in there is too thick, and yellow!
Thanks.

jgood21967 at aol.com

That is Jon's email. Give him a shout and see what he is up to. Really nice guy in my experience. Use him rather than any of the others who ripped him off.

jgood21967 at aol.com

That is Jon's email. Give him a shout and see what he is up to. Really nice guy in my experience. Use him rather than any of the others who ripped him off.

PLEASE go via interslice/Jon Goodman guys. An honest guy with a good product - he actually sends it to you even before the payment gets through because he's so trusting of the customers he gets. It's from the US but the seals tend to get here within 4-7 days. I've just resealed my K1000 in the last few hours using one of his simple and well put together guides, as well as countless other cameras before these.

Buying through email is something that feels very foreign and odd in 2012 - but I will happily vouch for him, as well many others. Buy with confidence.

jgood21967 at aol.com

:plus1: Top fella to deal with, that's the same email addy I've got for him.

jgood21967 at aol.com

PLEASE go via interslice/Jon Goodman guys. An honest guy with a good product - he actually sends it to you even before the payment gets through because he's so trusting of the customers he gets. It's from the US but the seals tend to get here within 4-7 days. I've just resealed my K1000 in the last few hours using one of his simple and well put together guides, as well as countless other cameras before these.

Buying through email is something that feels very foreign and odd in 2012 - but I will happily vouch for him, as well many others. Buy with confidence.

:plus1: Top fella to deal with, that's the same email addy I've got for him.

Thanks folks, that's good enough for me. sent him an email! (y)

THere are lots of tip on the flickr olympus trip group for reparing old trips aswell

THere are lots of tip on the flickr olympus trip group for reparing old trips aswell

Thanks Emme, just been looking at that! Will have to join. (y)

Hi folks from a really hot Texas. Thanks very much for the votes of confidence and complimentary words! Friends are such a treasure...particularly friends like you guys and gals. Please do keep my email address handy and please let me know of any light seal needs or questions you have. As has been mentioned already, I'm no longer selling the kits on eBay. Apparently you've heard about the piracy & fraud, so I'll concentrate on things more positive and ethical. The pre-cut kits will be sold for as long as possible. I've just retired, and so I'll now have a bit more time to devote to this. If I don't have a kit for your camera, please don't let it worry you. I keep a box of off-cuts of foam and other materials for these situations, and I'm happy to send them as needed. One way or another, we'll get your camera back on "the dark side." All you have to do is ask. In the cases where I don't have a kit for your camera, one of the most important things for me to know is the thickness of the seal material that is still in your camera (in mm, please). It gives me a starting point. If it isn't there any longer, don't let that worry you either, though. We'll work around it. DSLR mirror damper pads? They're starting to fail now, and I'm happy to help with those, too.

I receive between 100 and 200 email messages a day on light seal and/or camera repair issues, and occasionally some of them mysteriously go to the spam folder. If you have not heard back from me within a couple of days or so, please send another message. I probably didn't see the first one, because I do answer all of them.

Oh, I almost forgot. I also sell leather & leatherette covering kits. They're made by a good friend in Germany who has sold my foam there for many years. They're excellent kits and are available for some of the models which suffer shrinkage most commonly. If you're interested, please let me know.

And battery adapters. Gee if I'm going to mention everything, I may as well toss these in. The same adapter I developed so long ago is still being made & sold. It turns a #675 hearing aid battery (a zinc-air cell) into a clone of the old mercury battery (like the PX-13, PX-625, etc). They're still $14 and that still includes free shipping to anywhere and a lifetime guarantee.

Best regards,
Jon Goodman

Welcome to the forum Jon, it's good to see you on here. I hope the mods don't get too uppity and I would just like to point out that there have been a lot of emails going 'to and fro' between Jon and us in the f&c section which has prompted Jon's arrival on here so please don't strike his post as an 'advertiser'.

Welcome to the forum Jon, it's good to see you on here. I hope the mods don't get too uppity and I would just like to point out that there have been a lot of emails going 'to and fro' between Jon and us in the f&c section which has prompted Jon's arrival on here so please don't strike his post as an 'advertiser'.

+1

Welcome Jon - need to get round to sealing the Electro with the kit you sent me a few weeks back!

Ah, good point there. Well, I hope they don't see it as advertising, too. Any time you get a large number of email messages, you're going to see common threads...FAQs, you know. I was simply hoping to answer what I believe will be (or already are) questions in some people's minds. As some of you who've dealt with me for years already know, I give away nearly as much of the stuff as I sell. As my wife is fond of saying "if we had to live off the proceeds of the light seal project, we'd be living under a bridge and it wouldn't even be a very nice bridge."

On that Electro, please let me know if you have any questions about the "Pad of Death." I'm planning to have a website in the future, and one of the things I want to have on it is some repair instructions with nice large images. Simplified POD replacement is one of those things I want to document online.
Best regards,
Jon

Jon - you may wish to check your PM's before posting any further on the forum - wouldn't want you to fall foul of our "no advertising" regulations...

Hi folks from a really hot Texas. Thanks very much for the votes of confidence and complimentary words! Friends are such a treasure...particularly friends like you guys and gals.

Hi Jon, glad to see you took up the invitation to look in on the Forum.
Thanks for the rapid response to my enquiry, great to see someone takes a pride in customer service for a change.

Back