Olympus Trip 35

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Got a hankering to shot film again! Use to use a P30T which I loved.

Quite fancy the Olympus Trip 35. Was just wondering how easy it is to use? Especially around focusing?

Also what is the going rate for them nowadays?

Thanks
Ross

The Trip 35 has zone focusing, so you have the choice of close-up (a flower), head and shoulders, full length people or mountain for distance. It has only 2 shutter speeds, being 1/200 and 1/40, and the lightmeter around the lens doesn't need a battery. The lens is still a good performer after all these years, but beware of silly prices as they are now becoming trendy. (£149 at WYC? :eek:) https://wycameras.com/collections/point-and-shoots/products/olympus-trip-35-black-exc

EDIT: but if you're feeling lucky, this one ends late tonight! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-...450476?hash=item3d8b064aec:g:QWMAAOSwX1xc3daD

Last edited:
If you want an automatic 'point and shoot' type film camera and can't find a reasonably priced Oly Trip, then perhaps have a think about a Canon Sureshot Supreme. It's a black plastic job, so not the most aesthetically pleasing, but it's got an f/2.8 lens and takes well-exposed, sharp-looking photos that you perhaps wouldn't expect from something that looks like that. Price? Expect to pay between £10 and £20 for one in fully working order from eBay. I'll post an example shot from mine later, as Flickr seems to be off-line at the moment!

Basically, if something looks retro (silver and black) then it usually sells for a premium; it's often not performance or feature related. Take the Canon A1 35mm SLR for instance, it's all black and has more features than the AE1 Programme but, currently, the lower spec AE1 Programme tends to sell for a higher price. I can only think this is because it's silver and black and looks obviously 'retro', which to me is just daft. Of the two, give me the A1 every time!

There's no way I'd part with £145 for an Olympus Trip, you could buy an Olympus OM10 SLR with 50mm Zuiko lens and manual adaptor for much less than that; it's also silver and black but will take much better photos. A Canon A1 with 50mm f/1.8 in full working order can be found for around £120, and that will put most other cameras of a similar era in the shade in respect of features and sheer usability. There's a plethora of old 35mm cameras out there, so why pay what can be a significant premium just to look 'trendy'?

Konica C35? A lovely little camera with a fantastic lens and probably better than the Trip.

The Trip 35 has zone focusing, so you have the choice of close-up (a flower), head and shoulders, full length people or mountain for distance. It has only 2 shutter speeds, being 1/200 and 1/40, and the lightmeter around the lens doesn't need a battery. The lens is still a good performer after all these years, but beware of silly prices as they are now becoming trendy. (£149 at WYC? :eek:) https://wycameras.com/collections/point-and-shoots/products/olympus-trip-35-black-exc

EDIT: but if you're feeling lucky, this one ends late tonight! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-...450476?hash=item3d8b064aec:g:QWMAAOSwX1xc3daD

That's a black Trip, which are rare hence the price. Should still be able to pick up a regular Trip for <£50.

To the OP and as an owner of a Trip... I'd choose something else. Mine gathers dust on a shelf. The lens is nice enough when the exposure system gets it right, but it's a very basic exposure system with the downside of ageing cells getting it wrong.
You can pick up a compact SLR with lens for not much more

Snip:
also a pity that Poundland stopped the £1 film..
I found it was OK for testing new cameras or for autumn colour in good light. Apart from that, I'd rather have Kodak ColorPlus 200 36 exp, which is around £2.39 a roll including postage if bought in a 10 pack, but it's still a bit grainy for my taste. These days I pay the extra for Kodak Gold 200 36 exp in 6 packs from 7 Day Shop, which, at £3.57 a roll inc postage, I find a good balance between economy and something like Ektar 100.

I've never used a Trip 35, but I did have a 35RC that I bought in Hong Kong in the 70s. It was an excellent little camera and I used it for years, but eventually threw it out - with the matching flash unit - during a house move in South Africa. That was a mistake, but water under the bridge. They're still available on the used market, and I've thought about it, but my photography is mostly pragmatic now and my Panasonic TZ9/phone cover most of it. A Nikon F2 and a 30D are my oldies...

Back