Olympus XA shutter stuck

Edit My Images
No
Hello!
I ordered an Olympus XA from Ebay and it works fine until picture 25 or 26. Then the shutter just stops working and is stuck/ won’t wind. I tried everything (new batteries, seeing if the lens is completely open) but nothing helps. I don’t want to lose 10 pictures per every roll, does anyone have a similar problem and found a solution for it? Thanks so much in advance!

Well, I picked up an XA3 lately. Won't wind. Mind you it only cost me £5.00. :D

I've not had that on my XA2, but then it was bought new by my dad back in its day and only used by him, mum and now me, and not very heavily by any of us.

Haha oh well, maybe it’s a common XA issue then.

It sounds like it might be. It might not be ideal, and it will be a bit of a faff, but it should be possible to rewind the film and use it in another camera. Providing of course that you have a little widget for pulling out the tongue of the film.

I've not had that on my XA2, but then it was bought new by my dad back in its day and only used by him, mum and now me, and not very heavily by any of us.
Yeah because I bought it on eBay I don’t know if it has always had this issue, the seller didn’t say anything about it.

It sounds like it might be. It might not be ideal, and it will be a bit of a faff, but it should be possible to rewind the film and use it in another camera. Providing of course that you have a little widget for pulling out the tongue of the film.
Thanks! I will try that

I've done it on other cameras and seems to work.

Or you could say its faulty and try to send it back and get a refund? There are quite a few XA's/XA2's around

Yeah sadly they don’t do refunds..

Sadly for them, they have no choice if the camera was described as working. The only way they can avoid it if it was listed as for parts and the fault described. Ebay is in favour of the buyer in this respect. Check the listing, return with a tracked method of postage and they will have no choice but to issue a refund.

Open a case with Ebay, they may at least offer a partial refund if they want to avoid ebay forcing the issue.

My XA has lost the look of a new camera having been using it on and off for the last thirty ish years that is hardly surprising. Recently I did have a slightly odd conversation with someone who seemed to think that they (XA x cameras ) had unreliable shutters, along the lines of 'does the shutter work? well yes I am using it!' which is the first I have heard on the subject.

seeing if the lens is completely open)
^^ After batteries, that would be my first thought, is the sliding lens cover fully opening? I would re wind the film then try using the camera with no film, opening and closing the lens cover a few times after each exposure hoping that it would become more reliable with some use.

They are a nice pocket camera to carry and as others have said the first port of call should be with the ebay seller, I hope you can either get this one going or get a refund and hunt for a better one, good luck.

Sadly for them, they have no choice if the camera was described as working. The only way they can avoid it if it was listed as for parts and the fault described. Ebay is in favour of the buyer in this respect. Check the listing, return with a tracked method of postage and they will have no choice but to issue a refund.
I agree. I had a 70-200 lens that was sold as parts as it had slight fungus inside.

It was described as working but wouldn't focus past 100.

Even though it said no returns I did and received a full refund.

Yeah sadly they don’t do refunds..
If it was listed as "used" it must work properly as intended, and ebay will refund if it doesn't and the seller refuses to.
Best not to discuss it with the seller, just fill in a return request, This does not go against the seller or his account if he accepts the return or refunds.

If was listed as parts not working, well, it doesn't, put it down to experience :)

Yes I will check the listing and see if I can do something about it. Maybe at least get some type of refund because it was listed as “tested and working”. Thanks!!

My XA has lost the look of a new camera having been using it on and off for the last thirty ish years that is hardly surprising. Recently I did have a slightly odd conversation with someone who seemed to think that they (XA x cameras ) had unreliable shutters, along the lines of 'does the shutter work? well yes I am using it!' which is the first I have heard on the subject.

^^ After batteries, that would be my first thought, is the sliding lens cover fully opening? I would re wind the film then try using the camera with no film, opening and closing the lens cover a few times after each exposure hoping that it would become more reliable with some use.

They are a nice pocket camera to carry and as others have said the first port of call should be with the ebay seller, I hope you can either get this one going or get a refund and hunt for a better one, good luck.
Yeah that’s what I bought them for, so nice for traveling because it fits easily in a pocket!
I will try using the camera without film and test it at each exposure, thank you for the tip!

If it was listed as "used" it must work properly as intended, and ebay will refund if it doesn't and the seller refuses to.
Best not to discuss it with the seller, just fill in a return request, This does not go against the seller or his account if he accepts the return or refunds.

If was listed as parts not working, well, it doesn't, put it down to experience :)
Oh I didn’t know that! That helps, thank you :) and it was listed as tested and working so I guess I got lucky (and unlucky haha)

I agree. I had a 70-200 lens that was sold as parts as it had slight fungus inside.

That’s good to know thank you!

Well if you can’t return it consider using 24 exposure films.
It would be even handier if you’re able to bulk roll film.

I think the trick is to initiate the process through e.bay. Even though the seller may not accept returns, if it is plainly not as described they will act. I had one recently with a lens that was described as working. But when I received it there was oil around the mount, I mean visibly so, and the blades were gummed up. They must have been at it with the 3 in 1, I think.

I think the trick is to initiate the process through e.bay. Even though the seller may not accept returns, if it is plainly not as described they will act. I had one recently with a lens that was described as working. But when I received it there was oil around the mount, I mean visibly so, and the blades were gummed up. They must have been at it with the 3 in 1, I think.
The key point there is "through ebay"

Don't message the seller, they could easily string it out for a couple of weeks.

With a return request, they have 3 working days (they were going to change that) ti issue you with a postage label through ebay, or refund you.

Don't pay for the postage yourself with a promise to refund you, you won;t see it.

The whole process must go through ebay, their return labels are tracked on the return automatically, and the seller has three days after it is recorded as arrived with them to refund.

If all goes to plan, the seller is not penalised for having a return, if they do not play nice, you can ask ebay to step in, it is then escalated to a case, and is recorded on the sellers account

For genuine people it is straight forward and simple, but is does catch the chancers :)

I know that this is unlikely, but I have to ask it anyway. It wasn't loaded with a 24 exposure film was it? 25 or 26 sounds a reasonable end point if so.

I know that this is unlikely, but I have to ask it anyway. It wasn't loaded with a 24 exposure film was it? 25 or 26 sounds a reasonable end point if so.
Good point. In our eagerness we probably overlook the obvious sometimes. I know I've done it.

Last edited:
No thats a good question haha! But it was Kodak gold 36 and ultramax also with 36.

Oh no, but you were able to return it?

The key point there is "through ebay"

Don't message the seller, they could easily string it out for a couple of weeks.

With a return request, they have 3 working days (they were going to change that) ti issue you with a postage label through ebay, or refund you.

Don't pay for the postage yourself with a promise to refund you, you won;t see it.

The whole process must go through ebay, their return labels are tracked on the return automatically, and the seller has three days after it is recorded as arrived with them to refund.

If all goes to plan, the seller is not penalised for having a return, if they do not play nice, you can ask ebay to step in, it is then escalated to a case, and is recorded on the sellers account

For genuine people it is straight forward and simple, but is does catch the chancers :)
Thank you :) it’s good to know that it will definitely work if I do it through eBay right away. I will first try some other tricks and then shoot another roll and if it still doesn’t work I’ll just return it through eBay and look for another XA. Hopefully one that works this time ;)

Hi @Magema , I once returned a "no returns accepted" Rollei XF35 due to excessive dust in the viewfinder
I raised a returns case via the official channels on ebay and simply described that I was not able to operate the camera as intended
The seller accepted my "returns request" and I got a full refund

FYI, I did speak to ebay customer services on first instance and they advised they would step in if we were unable to come to a mutual agreement and they also reinforced the product should work as intended unless otherwise stated in the listing.

I would say you have a strong case for a full refund.

Back