Olympus XA2 shutter button

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
My XA2 sometimes doesn't fire when I press the shutter button. I've taken it apart and cleaned the button contacts, but I still have the same problem, so any other suggestions what the trouble may be?

Thanks
Garry

How did you glue it back on? And what's the condition of your 'door' like, as in the cover that you pull away, since obviously the camera is only active once it's fully pulled away. If you pull it and due to wear and tear it goes back on itself slightly, it might trigger the switch so the camera thinks it's in a closed state?

My XA2 sometimes doesn't fire when I press the shutter button. I've taken it apart and cleaned the button contacts, but I still have the same problem, so any other suggestions what the trouble may be?

Thanks
Garry

Mine does this sometimes, I just close the cover and open it and that seems to get it going.

I didn't glue anything back on, not sure what you mean there. It all came apart and went back together ok.

The sliding lens cover works ok, and doesn't drift back over.

Oh, okay - I know that when you diassemble an XA, you need to put a drop of glue to attach the shutter plastic red cap back on properly, but maybe the different XAx models have different manufacturing designs.

I would check on my XA2 but I'm still getting through the roll so I can't afford to mess around with the shutter button much :)

I seem to remember reading that this can be due to vey slight distortion of the plastic button/pad. I sometimes have to push the button a couple of times on mine - I think there's a sweet spot/angle that I don't always hit. I don't recall a solution unfortunately, but I probably read it on kyphoto or rangefinderforum.com.
Of course it doesn't fail to go off when I accidentally have my finger on the pad when I open the camera!

Oh, okay - I know that when you diassemble an XA, you need to put a drop of glue to attach the shutter plastic red cap back on properly, but maybe the different XAx models have different manufacturing designs.

I would check on my XA2 but I'm still getting through the roll so I can't afford to mess around with the shutter button much :)

I didn't have to force anything off, so they may have changed it, or some previous owner has already been there!

I seem to remember reading that this can be due to vey slight distortion of the plastic button/pad. I sometimes have to push the button a couple of times on mine - I think there's a sweet spot/angle that I don't always hit. I don't recall a solution unfortunately, but I probably read it on kyphoto or rangefinderforum.com.
Of course it doesn't fail to go off when I accidentally have my finger on the pad when I open the camera!

I've noticed the thing with pressing at different angles on the button, but it isn't consistent. I'll have another got at it soon and see if I spot anything new to try.

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far everyone :)

Back