On the spot fines???

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
My younger brother was given an on the spot fine last night.......for driving with his fog lights on. When he set out it was snowing like mad but within 15mins it had stopped and he forgot to switch the fogs off. He was pulled over and questioned as to why he hadn't switched them off and after admitting he'd forgot he had them on he was given a £30 on the spot fine. He never got a producer nor was he asked for his docs....However when he returned home, he noticed the fine is made out for a different car :LOL: My point is how come it is not acceptible for 'US' to make mistakes and leave our fogs on....yet this pillock of a copper writes a fine out for a different make of car. I think a caution and maybe a producer.
Is this fine binding as it has the wrong details on??????
Any help.
Thanks.
Ken.

I don't believe it is ;) Lucky escape for your brother there.

He shouldn't have gotten a fine really. It was a simple mistake, which he admitted. We all forget sometimes.

I used to be a member of a police forum (when I was looking to join), and the concensus with a few was that if they pulled someone over for driving with the fog lights on, they would remind the driver, and see if they instantly went to turn it off. If they knew where the switch was straight away, then it was a friendly reminder and an 'on your way'.

The majority though didn't know where the foglight switch was...lol

Thanks Marcel, when he cut the engine the fogs and lights go out. The officer asked him to start his car back up to show him that his fogs were on but....they don't auto switch on again when the car is started :D so he couldn't really prove that they were on...which I think made the copper annoyed, Hence the fine. BUT fancy writing the fine out for a clio when he drives a corsa :nut:

Pretty cheap shot there really, a quick telling off would have been more effective. Just made another person not trust the police, and they wonder why people are not willing to help them...

SammyC said:
Pretty cheap shot there really, a quick telling off would have been more effective. Just made another person not trust the police, and they wonder why people are not willing to help them...
You betcha! Still hopefully my brother will have the last laugh.....if the fine is void.

Minor errors in tickets aren't enough to get them dropped I'm afraid, you need a pretty substantial error which would make it difficult to prosecute if you chose not to pay it and go to court - wrong reg'd number or completely wrong location would probably be dropped, but the wrong make wont have any great bearing if the reg'd no is correct. These errors happen with tickets all the time.

You could try ringing The Ticket Office but I don't see you getting much success. If you write, it could well take you over the time for paying the ticket and summonses would then be issued, so it would cost a lot more than 30 quid at court.

It does seem a bit harsh when he's had a legit reason for having the spots on and just forgotten to turn them off.

CT said:
It does seem a bit harsh when he's had a legit reason for having the spots on and just forgotten to turn them off.
Especially when there are so many cars going round with dodgy defective lights even police cars with faulty brake lights in the area and seen recently.

I got exactly the same fine for the exact same reason.... I did think it was a bit harsh at the time but I just paid it because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle!

Chris.

Bad luck for those that genuinely leave them on by mistake, but there are so many chavs on the road who think they're cool with front fogs on. Actually one of my pet hates ;) especailly when they blind you on dark roads with no street lights, whilst raining.
I'm amazed a copper stopped him, as round here the coppers drive straight past people blatantly abusing the position (eg. dark with headlamps on sidelights only with fogs a beaming) ......obviously the coppers have more important things to attend to, like new film for the speed cameras :stir:

In Sheffield the other night I saw a dedicated parking ticket van park illegally in a bus lane facing the wrong way to give a ticket to a car that was illegally parked in a bus lane with a flat front tyre!!!!

Gary Bagshawe said:
In Sheffield the other night I saw a dedicated parking ticket van park illegally in a bus lane facing the wrong way to give a ticket to a car that was illegally parked in a bus lane with a flat front tyre!!!!
CRAZY........

I had a similar incident years ago when I thought driving with foglights on was "teh kewl" and made my car look 'phat'. Or something.

My rear view mirror was suddenly filled with a Volvo pursuit car who pulled me over. Conversation went something like this:

<Plod> Do you know why i've stopped you this evening, sir?
<Me> No occifer.
<Plod> Can you see any warning lights on your dashboard?
<Me> No?
<Plod> What about that one there? *points*
<Me> *exaggerates forward-leaning motion to emphasise the fact that the light was obscured by the steering wheel*
<Me> Oh, my foglights are on. Sorry, I didn't realise.
<Plod> Well to be honest I don't believe a word you're telling me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
<Me> *mumbles something about 'proper criminals'*

:nut:

Lol! I've been pulled for the same, but I've grown up now and I've seen the error of my ways. Thankfully, all I got was a ticking off.

To be honest though, I hate drivers who have their fogs on unnecessarily. Especially when they only have their sidelights on as well.

Catdaddy said:
To be honest though, I hate drivers who have their fogs on unnecessarily. Especially when they only have their sidelights on as well.

......& have 5 inch exhaust pipes for a 1 litre engine, plus neon lights underneath, centre windscreen wiper in vertical position, red seat belts etc etc... :LOL:

I've got to take a photo of a chav working in McDonalds round here who has a saxo with two 6-8 inch pipes out the back ...... :censored: ;)

Fog lights don't bother me. I'd love to see all the badly adjusted glaring dipped headlights fined. Often the worst offenders are some pretty new cars.

Don't care how bright they are just point *both* headlights in the right direction!

CT could very well be right I think.
I was mistaken, I thought the ticket had been written out for a completely different car, I didn't realise the registration etc was correct, it was just the model that was wrong.
It's a shame really, people shouldn't be penalised for honest mistakes.

If I'm ever pulled over by a copper the first thing I do is pass the attitude test.
I stop the car, make it safe (lights/engine) etc, and get out, either walking to the rear of the car, or to the kerb. It's more manners than anything else really.

I was once turning left at a crossroads (lighted), going from South to West. (Driving a bus).
Traffic going straight on was on a red, and I had a filter arrow enabling me to turn left.
As I was about to go through the lights, they flicked to amber, and as I went through they flicked to red (just as the lights went out of sight).
I'll admit it was one of those 50/50 moments, hence why I chose to go through (anchoring up with a bus load of people isn't a good thing to do).

Now there was a Police Volvo, waiting on a red, going from East to West, out of eyeline with my filter arrow.

I was 3 or 4 mins down the road, and the volvo pulled me over. I got out and had a chat with him and he said "What colour light was that, that you went through?". So I said "Amber". He said "No it wasn't it was Red", I said "It wasn't it was Amber", and he said "Come on mate, it was definately red", and I realised, that arguing the toss wouldn't get me anywhere. I thought it was one of those 50/50 times where you could stop or go, I chose to go.

He gave me a bollocking about setting examples to others etc, being in my position, and off I go with a warning.

It was only when I set off that it clicked about me having a filter. He could only see the red lights for the traffic going South to North.

Anyway, I'm waffling now.
I just thought

DJW said:
......& have 5 inch exhaust pipes for a 1 litre engine, plus neon lights underneath, centre windscreen wiper in vertical position, red seat belts etc etc... :LOL:

I've got to take a photo of a chav working in McDonalds round here who has a saxo with two 6-8 inch pipes out the back ...... :censored: ;)

My how I thought that stuff was the dogs danglies a few years ago....lol How sad.
I bet the saxo has a 1000cc engine in it too...lol
Give me my comfortable 1.6l Astra anyday with a relaxing volume level Smooth FM and plenty of boot space. :thumb:

I've noticed a marked increase in cars having overly bright headlights lately. I'm getting sick of being dazzled by ordinary cars with dipped headlights on. New cars too. Sometimes I can only tell they're not full beam by the fact there are still areas of the headlight not illuminated (Which I assume are the full beam).

That and bloody 4x4's shining right in my face.

i got tugged for overtaking on a slightly iffy bit of road, but passing the attitude test(yes officer, no officer, very sorry officer, i wasnt really thinking like that no etc)got me a ticking off only, if i had given him attitude(havent you got proper crims to chase, doughnut shop closed, that **** over there did it etc) then i would have got a fine..

luckily it was DSPG that tugged me, would have been bad that!

/runs off shouting You wont take me alive, copper!

EosD said:
luckily it was DSPG that tugged me, would have been bad that!

German Counter-Terrorists?

Oh thats the GSG :D.........I'll be off now :D

GSG-9 - a handy bunch of fellas called Helmut, if memory serves.

I love Chav-style exhausts - my step-daughter's b/f has a Saxo with a dustbin under it and although I rag him mercilessly about it, he's quite happy to look like a prat. That and the blue neons under the dash (to illuminate the knees, presumably...).

lol, no DSPG, he knows who he is.....

EosD said:
lol, no DSPG, he knows who he is.....

Well we don't...come on, enlighten us then :D

Demented and Senile Pensionable Grannies?

I'll admit to being a fan of undercar lighting. Saw one the other day that basically had a set of LED lights under each sill which could strobe in time to the music (played at 120 db obviously) in different colours. lol, way too cool

But still not as good as the under-lighting I saw on a moped, now that made me laugh!

LOL Like it.

Infact I can see that taking off actually.

A woman driver is pulled over by a policeman. "Is there a problem, Officer?"

"Yes, madam, you were speeding."

"Really?"

"May I see your licence please?"

"I'd give it to you but I don't have one."

"Don't have one?"

"Nope. Lost it after drunk driving four times."

" I see...May I see your vehicle registration papers please?"

"Nope. Can't do that either."

"Why not?"

"Well ... I stole this car."

"Stole it?"

"Yes, after I killed and dismembered the owner."

"You what?"

"Lost my temper. It was messy. His body is in a pile of plastic bags in the boot if you want to see."

The policeman looks at the woman for a second, then backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes there are more police cars circling them. A police sergeant approaches the car, gripping his half drawn gun. He clears his throat, then calls to her, "Madam, please step out of and away from your vehicle please."

She does so. "Is there a problem sir?"

"One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner."

"Murdered the owner?"

"Yes. Could you open the boot of your car please?"

She does, and they both look down into a dusty, empty space.

"Is this your car, madam?"

"Yes. Here are the registration papers."

The Sergeant scans through them, and sees that they are in order. "My officer claims that you do not have a driving licence."

The woman rummages through her bag, then hands her licence to the puzzled Sergeant.

"Ma'am, my officer told me you didn't have a license, that you stole this car, and that you murdered and dismembered the owner."

"I'll bet the lying b*st**d told you I was speeding, too!!"

Ken Good luck with your quest following the advice given.... BTW I followed a panda car throgh Milton Keynes this morning, it had 1 out of the 3 brake lights working... and when i got to work and jumped in my big traffic car... eeeeek 1 out of 2 headlamps was not working.. see even plod cars have defects sometimes. Lets face it they are only tools.... and dare I say it some jumped up no everything probationers can be tools too. tee hee.

Oh and a fault i had with my wazzapan (police bike) was everytime it rained the front blue lights would come on automatically without me noticing, I wondered why everyone kept waving me past... faults with attitude i called that.

Back