On1 Effects free until 31st January

Thanks for the tip. I'm downloading a copy now....

No go for me. My video card isn't up to it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Will take a look.

Installed OK for me and set itself up as a plugin for other programs. Thanks Garry. Seems to work OK, but a bit of a RAM hog.

Well that didn't last long, I have deleted the programme after two hours playing with it. Just seems to be a load of filters and some of them seem to be way over the top.
Oh, and it is not the most efficient of programmes even on my Mac Studio with 32gig of ram. No wonder it is free.

Well that didn't last long, I have deleted the programme after two hours playing with it. Just seems to be a load of filters and some of them seem to be way over the top.
Oh, and it is not the most efficient of programmes even on my Mac Studio with 32gig of ram. No wonder it is free.

The filters can be useful starting points, but the tools themselves are really powerful and useful. The filters are unfortunate because often they are the only thing people see.

Does it work as a stand alone program on its own or does it have to be used as a plug in ?
I only have Affinity and DXO on my MacBook

Does it work as a stand alone program on its own or does it have to be used as a plug in ?
I only have Affinity and DXO on my MacBook
From the web site.

ON1 Effects works as a standalone application on Mac or Windows or as a plugin for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom,
Apple Photos, Capture One, Affinity Photo, and Corel PSP.

Downloading it now , looks like useful program, not just effects , looks like it does masking for animals etc that’s something I’ve always found difficult

Downloading it now , looks like useful program, not just effects , looks like it does masking for animals etc that’s something I’ve always found difficult
It can do a lot of stuff - don't be distracted by the presets, which are like the tinsel on a tree. FWIW it's also a good coour to mono converter.

Last edited:
Just installed it 10 minutes ago. I don't think it's for me. It's slow even on a fast PC, really unintuitive and although some of the film presets are quite nice I can't see me ever wanting to really use it.

Tried it out on a couple of old shots the program seems to work fine on my M1 macbook
happy with it :)

Wanted me to input payment details even though said free and wouldn't be charged.

Won't be doing that.

Strange, that didn't happen, when I ordered.
Not too sure but when 'ordered it' there was no requirement to add payment method information.......only IIRC name and email address :thinking:

Thanks, a useful video, which gives a good overview of what it can do.

On balance, I would prefer presets/Actions that work inside Photoshop, so my time is spent learning Photoshop rather than it being spent learning On1 effects, but I can still see how this could be a useful tool for many.

When it says it’s free until the 31st jan what does that mean? Does it mean it’s free until 31st jan then if you want to continue using it you have to pay or does it mean that anyone who downloads it before 31st jan can use it free for life?

Massive difference between the 2 but on the face of it the info (at a glance) is quite ambiguous

From the ad:

To download ON1 Effects 2023.5 for free, visit https://www.on1.com/effects/before January 31st, before the regular price of $69.99 is reinstated.

I take that as meaning that you can download and install it free of charge And use it free of charge. After that, you'll have to pay $69.99 to download and install it and use it free of any further charge.

They've been doing this sort of offer since it was known as Perfect Effects, part of Perfect Photo Suite, and free has always meant free to download and then use forever. I used the free version of Perfect Effects for years before switching to On1 Photo Raw.

When it says it’s free until the 31st jan what does that mean? Does it mean it’s free until 31st jan then if you want to continue using it you have to pay or does it mean that anyone who downloads it before 31st jan can use it free for life?

Massive difference between the 2 but on the face of it the info (at a glance) is quite ambiguous
FWIW
I took it to mean it is a time limited offer.

Am assuming that once you have downloaded it for free it’s yours to use for free for ever

Well, has anybody been cut off in their prime? :p My C1E was still functioning on the 12th of February. I haven't looked since though.

Back