On1 lens information

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I use On1 RAW 2022 software to process my pictures. In the 'information' panel I note that when I use a Nikon lens, lens information is recorded, but when I use a Sigma lens, it is not. Only the focal length is shown but not what lens it is. Is it that my software is not fully recent, i.e. 2023 version, or is it that Sigma, or other third party lenses, are just not recognised.

Sigma lenses don't always play well with Nikon kit - Nikon have sometimes managed to disable their lenses through updates.

I have contacted On1. Looking through their list of lenses, I'm not sure mine is supported either in the 2022.5 version (which I have) or the 2023 version. The lens that I thought was mine turns out to be the 14-24mm DG DN Art, aimed at mirrorless cameras, whereas mine is a 14-24mm f2.8 HSM DG Art. It could be it's just not supported.

It's not a deal-breaker but it's just one more little thing I don't like about On1. While I quite like On1, I can't get over what I was used to in Lightroom. If only Adobe would sell Lightroom as a standalone package I would be on it like a fly to s*** but I just can't justify £120 a year for the relatively keen amateur. Unfortunately, if I have to move back to LR I will effectively have lost a years subscription by buying On1 outright. Ah, the vagaries of the computer age :confused:.

Last edited:
Well that was quick. On1 replied within about two hours, but unfortunately, for me, the news is not good. At the moment they don't support my particular lens but if they do it won't be supported in On1 2022, only in the latest version. This is quite annoying since On1 Photo RAW 2023 was only released in Oct 2022 and already they no longer provide support for the previous version.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more annoying it becomes as I only bought the software 1 year and 29 days ago. Perhaps a Lightroom sub might be a good idea after all.

Last edited:
While On1 let you 'own' the software, they really like the subscription model now, and the support period is short. I suspect the days of several years of updates and support are long gone.

While On1 let you 'own' the software, they really like the subscription model now, and the support period is short. I suspect the days of several years of updates and support are long gone.

And their subscription package is more expensive than Adobe Creative if you want the whole thing.

And their subscription package is more expensive than Adobe Creative if you want the whole thing.
That's why I cancelled the idea of moving to On1 from Adobe.

Keep an eye on Amazon for cheap Adobe deals. They sometimes have a full year subscription for £70(ish).

In fact, the more I think about it, the more annoying it becomes as I only bought the software 1 year and 29 days ago. Perhaps a Lightroom sub might be a good idea after all.
Totally sympathise. I bought ON1 2022 last year but it transpires that my computer can't run it. I can't add a graphics card for a couple of reasons and I have no wish to replace the computer right now. What's been really annoying is the daily emails exhorting me to upgrade to 2023 at "my" special price!

Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and go Adobe subscription ...

Edit below.

Last edited:
That's why I cancelled the idea of moving to On1 from Adobe.

Keep an eye on Amazon for cheap Adobe deals. They sometimes have a full year subscription for £70(ish).

Totally sympathise. I bought ON1 2022 last year but it transpires that my computer can't run it. I can't add a graphics card for a couple of reasons and I have no wish to replace the computer right now. What's been really annoying is the daily emails exhorting me to upgrade to 2023 at "my" special price!

Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and go Adobe subscription ...

Had a look at Amazon but there is nothing there at the moment.

Have now gone back to Adobe Lightroom Classic via subscription and am currently importing all my images into a catalog -- perhaps I should go to bed now and hopefully it will be finished by the time I wake up tomorrow!

The clincher for me was that yesterday I happened to look at some old B&W scans I did years ago and for some reason On1 didn't want to display them or in most cases, even acknowledge they actually existed. Some of those pictures go back to 1976. I have already checked that Lightroom can see them and display them-- it can and does.

Oh well, we live and learn from our mistakes.

Back