One drive

D

darkroom12

Can someone tell me exactly what is Microsoft One Drive? It seems to be another way of storing information but I don't want hen getting their hands on my personal info. Can I uninstall it without affecting the remainder or Windows 10. It is getting invasive every time I go to save something, it pops up and I have to get rid of it Arghhhh! it is a real pain!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a cloud storage system, much like google drive, only by MS.

Can someone tell me exactly what is Microsoft One Drive? It seems to be another way of storing information but I don't want hen getting their hands on my personal info. Can I uninstall it without affecting the remainder or Windows 10. It is getting invasive every time I go to save something, it pops up and I have to get rid of it Arghhhh! it is a real pain!

It's more or less not much different to any other cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, Apple iCloud, etc., If you don't want it, just don't use it. Save your Office files to your computer's hard drive instead of to OneDrive.

I do save to the computer, which I said in the first place, but every time when I click save. before I get the chance to nominate Document, Pictures, USB or wherever there is a pop up telling me to save in One Drive and I have to delete it. I intensely dislike these unwanted intrusions.

You should be able to uninstall it.

If you don’t already have some cloud storage, use OneDrive. It’s the best by miles.

If you do, you can uninstall.

Quite simply I do not trust Microsoft and my data stays with me. I have uninstalled to programme now, so that's the end of it. I know they say it is secure, but if they made it available to every Tom Dick or Harry then they will be able to access it. They cannot access a computer that is switched off. Microsoft I treat as a creeping cancer and best kept away from as much as possible.

Quite simply I do not trust Microsoft and my data stays with me. I have uninstalled to programme now, so that's the end of it. I know they say it is secure, but if they made it available to every Tom Dick or Harry then they will be able to access it. They cannot access a computer that is switched off. Microsoft I treat as a creeping cancer and best kept away from as much as possible.

Microsoft are relatively speaking the good guys now. Amazon, Google and Facebook (and it's subsidiaries) are the evil empire.

Microsoft are relatively speaking the good guys now. Amazon, Google and Facebook (and it's subsidiaries) are the evil empire.

All from the same melting pot, only some are more advanced. I have never had a Facebook account, twitter account , Amazon account and I use google as little as I have to (except their mapping.) It is bad enough when information gets lost by official bodies, but these cowboys are exactly that.

Comparing Microsoft to cancer is incredibly distasteful and utterly baseless.

Enjoy your Nokia 6310i.

To add, the fact you get on your high horse about Microsoft and other companies and then say you use Google Maps highlights the hypocrisy of your stance.

Remember if you don’t pay for the product, you are the product and Google Maps is one of the most invasive users of personal data there is. I happily use it to but I do so knowing what I am giving up and what I am getting in return, as with all similar products.

Interesting debate going down a wormhole !
If you use a computer in any form (Car SatNav, Mobile Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop & Smart TV) from any supplier (I see Apple in courts again for unfair practices) then your data is being collected and sold and you have no way to stop it. Onedrive is simply a cloud storage service which can be easily disabled as can default file save locations (google provides many solutions).
I understand that if you use the latest LR then your Catalog is saved online and you loose access to it should you leave ! Another wormhole ?

From a personal perspective I see Microsoft in a very positive light. There was a time under previous CEOs (Bill Gates and more importantly Steve Balmer) where the company engaged in shady practices. Since the current CEO (Satya Nadella) got the job there has been a marked shift in Microsoft.

They have dropped proprietary Internet Explorer and jumped on the Chromium wagon. Support for much better gaming ecosystems with cross platform (i.e not a closed and locked ecosystem), have developed the only disabled friendly controller on the market AND made the code available for free to others who wish to develop it further among a bunch of other initiatives. Make no mistake, it is still a corporation but it is one that I actually trust above others at the moment.

FWIW I am a hardcore techy and computer guy who has spent the last 27 years tinkering with computers and I feel completely safe putting my files on OneDrive. Anything very confidential stays local on my hard drive.

My main gripe with Microsoft is the seemingly inability for them to provide easy access to someone - an actual person when there is an issue that has to be sorted. yes there are numbers to phone but all you get are recorded messages and replies with limited scope. Just why will they not talk?

If you are a business user (understandably most of us are not) then depending on the package there will be some support.

For individuals I found the various Microsoft forums to be quite helpful. In all fairness asking a question about OneDrive on this forum is unlikely to yield the same feedback you will get on TomsHardware, LinusTechTips, Reddit etc…

I remember there was a problem accessing my hotmail account many years ago, provided that all your details are up to date then you are safe and unlikely to lose anything. I had my issue sorted by the help team although it did take a few days of back and forth.

I see it as a straightforward compromise, either we accept a degree of delay when dealing with non-enterprise services or we self host which is more expensive and technically challenging. Ultimately as a consumer you can vote with your wallet.

Just why will they not talk?

Dunno - how much do you pay them?

One Drive is essentially a party frock for a limited version of Azure. Azure sev A faults have a <1 hour SLA. But you pay for that. Just answering the phone will probably cost them somewhere around £20 an hour.

My main gripe with Microsoft is the seemingly inability for them to provide easy access to someone - an actual person when there is an issue that has to be sorted. yes there are numbers to phone but all you get are recorded messages and replies with limited scope. Just why will they not talk?

Can you imagine the size of the call centre that would be needed to service Microsoft's customer base? It would be vast and the costs would be huge.

Interesting that you don't trust Microsoft, yet you're using Windows, on a PC that's clearly connected to the internet so you're sending all sorts of data to MS anyway. Why not use Linux or something like that if you're so concerned?

You don't trust Google, yet you're happy to use their maps, so they have your location history and a record of every destination you've searched for.

You do know most websites you visit link in to Google, Amazon, Facebook etc in some way so you're being tracked across the internet by these companies whether you like it or not. MS are not reading your documents stored in OneDrive. How many billion files do you think reside on their servers? It's not like Satya Nadella is sitting there reading what you've just typed into Excel is it?

Back