One good tern deserves a bit of skill - if only I had a bit more!

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
First go at photographing a tern..... what a nitemare!!!

B****y Nora can they change direction fast!! First of all I had the camera set on centre focus point, AI servo and continuous shooting. Could barely get locked on and keep the subject in focus while tracking his movements. Also was blowing some highlights as this bird is really bright white in the sunlight.

Step 2 was to change to all focus points, keep AI servo and continuos shooting but -1 exposure compensation. Had a bit more luck but still very difficult to track and lock on.

These are my efforts. Also found it difficult to pp these with full range of tones and try and get shadow detail under the wings.

First one is my favourite. Needless to say I'm going back to try and improve so if you have any hints and tips at either capturing and/or pp work, it would be very welcome

All are uncropped and thanks for looking and for any C&C

3476057458_a709858856_o.jpg

3475248935_35fd1529eb_o.jpg

3475249175_e3c112c3a6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Im far from being an expert but they look good to me.

I do a lot of sea fishing in cumbria and sw scotland and its always a pleasure to see the terns feeding,they are a lovely bird :)

Good shots, well done (y)... My fave is the first one.

Can't give any advice as I'm just learning the basics myself...lol. Excellent shots -first one is great. (y)

Back