One Polarizer fits all

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone I know there are a bazillion topics about filters but after a bit of searching I couldn't find the exact answer to my problem (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). I've been looking into circular polarizers as I've been wanted to get one for some time, I want to get a pretty good one as I think it's a worthy investment (and apparently they don't scratch quite as easily). Unfortunately polaraizers are pretty expensive bits of kit so I was wondering what the best option would be for using one circular polarizer on several lenses. I've been looking at screw in filters since they are quite a bit less hassle than their slide in counter parts. Would it work if I got a filter that fitted the lens I have with the largest filter thread and then use step down rings for the filter to fit other lenses? The idea is that I could use the filter on my 70-200 which requires 77mm filters (I think :help:) and then take this filter to be used on another lens such at my 18-70 lens which is 67mm (I think :help).

Is this possible and does it make any sense at all? Perhaps I should go down a sightly different path and by separate cheaper filters for each lens... :shrug:

I have a 105mm Heliopan that fits onto the front of my filter holder with a special adapter ring so can be used with any of my lenses.

hi Mr_T

i use a cokin P polariser so a slot in

as for your plan buy a 77mm filter and step UP rings for other lenses i do exactly that with my 6 stop ND filter and yes it works perfectly well , the only thing is of course lens hood no longer fits .but you can buy a screw in lens hood to fit the 77mm filter.

the stepping rings are step up,first figure is lens thread diameter second figure filter size ..

are we talking nikon lenses here ? if so yes 70-200 is 77mm 18-70 is 67mm..

Hi everyone I know there are a bazillion topics about filters but after a bit of searching I couldn't find the exact answer to my problem (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). I've been looking into circular polarizers as I've been wanted to get one for some time, I want to get a pretty good one as I think it's a worthy investment (and apparently they don't scratch quite as easily). Unfortunately polaraizers are pretty expensive bits of kit so I was wondering what the best option would be for using one circular polarizer on several lenses. I've been looking at screw in filters since they are quite a bit less hassle than their slide in counter parts. Would it work if I got a filter that fitted the lens I have with the largest filter thread and then use step down rings for the filter to fit other lenses? The idea is that I could use the filter on my 70-200 which requires 77mm filters (I think :help:) and then take this filter to be used on another lens such at my 18-70 lens which is 67mm (I think :help).

Is this possible and does it make any sense at all? Perhaps I should go down a sightly different path and by separate cheaper filters for each lens... :shrug:

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me....

Personally, I've now got a polariser for each lens, but start off with one and see how you get on. B&W ones are good, if you can afford them. I got mine recently from www.hvstar.com in HK which was relatively cheap, and reliable.

Think they have a new name now, ***. Use search above!

Yeah, that will work,you'll just have to watch for vingetting on wide lenses, as stepping rings hold the filter further away from the front of the lens.

You may be fine, but its better to be aware of it

Thanks for all of the replies, they are much appreciated. I had considered a slot in polarizer but I'm not so sure I want the hassle. I currently have a Cokin P wide angle filter holder which is handy for wideangle but only has 1 slot for filters (although I have heard about polarizers fitting into the other tiny slot). I like my filter holder but it's a clunky to have attached to my lens a lot. Having said all of that I'm very interested in the setup that 68lbs has with his gear, a filter attaching to a wideangle filter holder could be the answer to any vignetting issues.

So many decisions to make, thanks so much for the help though everyone!

Back