One race - one lens. SDA Round 1

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought i would limit myself to one position and one lens to try to capture as many of the riders at the first round of the Scottish Downhill Association's first race of the year as I could (so many ask do I have a photo of them and invariably I don't :LOL:). I lasted through practice and first runs but went for coffee and food for second runs (need buns).

Anyway it was a good exercise if a little tiring. Hardest thing was staying mentally active as it is surprising how you can switch off and have taken half or dozen duffers before you realise it!

All 447 succesful shots were shot manual exposure and manual off camera flash (although some were out of range of flash as will become clear).

#1 There was great light early on but really difficult to get the brighter riders right. Great when you did..
1.jpg

2.jpg

#3 What's he up to then?
4.jpg

#4 Naw! Stay on yer bike!
5.jpg

6.jpg

#6 Then the light went flat
7.jpg

#7 My boy! Good to see him, always, even better when he's flying
8.jpg

Lovely work with the exposure and flash Gary, 1st one is so sweet on the exposure. 8's a belter (y)

What spread/zoom on the flash did you use?

Iain

great shots, especially the first :)

Looks like 13 was unlucky for him :eek:

Superb set of shot!

I'd love to go to a MTB DH race and photo it!

Carl.

Great line up of images Gary ... (y) ... and seems to be a good spot too ... :D

And the lens was ... :cautious: ... or have I missed something ... again ... :shrug:

:p

And the lens was ... :cautious: ... or have I missed something ... again ... :shrug:

Yeah, the EXIF data! :LOL:

It was the 300mm weapon which attracted more comment than the racing. :LOL:

Benroy said:
Where was this staged?

At Dunkeld just north of Perth. Next round Fort Bill
for the most feared and loved track in the UK - which will seem rather vanilla after this track which delivered more people to Perth Hospital than the finish line. I counted one each of broken, arm, wrist and elbow. Neck & kidney damage and untold retirements through mechanical destruction.

Greg finished his best ever with a third on his last run!

Yeah, the EXIF data! :LOL:

It was the 300mm weapon which attracted more comment than the racing. :LOL:

At Dunkeld just north of Perth. Next round Fort Bill
for the most feared and loved track in the UK - which will seem rather vanilla after this track which delivered more people to Perth Hospital than the finish line. I counted one each of broken, arm, wrist and elbow. Neck & kidney damage and untold retirements through mechanical destruction.

Greg finished his best ever with a third on his last run!

Congrats on the 3rd place, didnt know they were racing up there or i would have popped up. Its only 20 mins up the road for me :crying:

Great images. The guy taking the tumble in the last - he ok? Looks sore!

Gary - He managed to get back on his bike but I never heard if he managed his second run.

Back