'One shot' developer for faster films

I don't find the agitation etc of the tank makes much difference tbh, and I find using the rondinax so much more fun than a changing bag etc. I've been shooting much more 35mm since having one, anyway!

Admittedly shooting at 250 is a complication too far for me but I should think you'll be fine with the times above. I shot a roll at 800, developed at the 400 speed times by accident and it turned out just fine!

Good to know the Rondinax has a happy customer! The 250 bit wasn't really meant to be a complication, it's just part of my general "over-expose negative film" approach, as recommended in a thread not too far away. That was for colour film though... anyway, I've shot half a dozen rolls of Tr-X at 250 or 320 and made no mention of it, so presumably developed for normal exposure, and they have come out fine. If anything, looking at the negatives they could maybe do with a bit more!

Reactions: ped
A quick bump on this thread to ask a question. Am I right in my assumption Ilfosol 3 can't be used as a stand developer?

I've never used Ilfosol 3 but I can see no reason why you couldn't stand or semi stand using it ......LC29, HC-110 and Rodinal have all worked equally well for me at 1:100 solution

I've never used Ilfosol 3 but I can see no reason why you couldn't stand or semi stand using it ......LC29, HC-110 and Rodinal have all worked equally well for me at 1:100 solution

So pay no attention to dire warnings around the internet about bromide drag and its a solvent developer? I am just curious really, I know Ilfosol isn't the longest lasting dev so will normally use at normal dilutions anyway, but do fancy having a go at the whole 1 hour/1 in 100 thing ;)

You'll probably have to sacrifice a roll of GP3 or its ilk to see if it works.

So pay no attention to dire warnings around the internet about bromide drag and its a solvent developer? I am just curious really, I know Ilfosol isn't the longest lasting dev so will normally use at normal dilutions anyway, but do fancy having a go at the whole 1 hour/1 in 100 thing ;)

Or you could just pick up some Rodinal for stand developing? It's inexpensive and seemingly lasts forever.

So pay no attention to dire warnings around the internet about bromide drag and its a solvent developer? I am just curious really,

As steveo says, have a play to see if it works but don't waste a whole roll....assuming you're using 35mm, wapp off half a dozen frames, open the camera up in a dark bag to cut and unload the section of film.

Develop that to see what results you get....then shoot and dev the rest of the film in whatever manner you feel fit;)

As steveo says, have a play to see if it works but don't waste a whole roll....assuming you're using 35mm, wapp off half a dozen frames, open the camera up in a dark bag to cut and unload the section of film.

Develop that to see what results you get....then shoot and dev the rest of the film in whatever manner you feel fit;)

Now that is actually a great idea, something I can manage and can do it in the nikon so I can be fairly sure the exposure is there or there abouts on the 'right' scale. :D

RJ, I will pick some up, but my local-ish store doesn't stock it so will either have to wait until I am near one that does, or order some, and I am just thinking of something I can play with tomorrow inbetween packing for holidays :D

I already sacrificed that lot to the Royal Mail...its on its way to Simon after I had another troublesome outing with it on Saturday, I have decided I can live without uber cheap film if its only going to give me a headache every time I use it - and properly this time, not respooled, so no excuses for the mangled mess it turned into inside the beautyflex. Which btw, has now had another roll of portra through with absolutely no problems, so blaming the film instead of me for once :LOL:

http://www.largeformatphotography.i...ion-developing&p=920560&viewfull=1#post920560

http://www.largeformatphotography.i...ortensen-et-al&p=813060&viewfull=1#post813060

You could go hardcore and do the five days in the fridge thing .......

I'm guessing that is the extremes needed to get Ilfosol3 to work as a stand developer as by in large it is entirely unsuited to it.

I'd give HC110 a go as a plus its a really versatile cheap all round developer

Back