Online picture different to offline

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I have put some pics up for C&C in the general photo thread, but I have noticed the pictures I have uploaded to my webspace and photobucket aren't anywhere near as vibrant when I view the picture offline.

I suspect its something stupid i'm doing but any advice would be much appreciated. Here are the pics, internal thread 1st is on my webspace 2 is on photobucket and there is no difference. On my screen though the reds are really vibrant, but as you can see in those pictures its really washed out?

Also noticed if I right click>save the image and open again off the pc its vibrant again and as intended.

Sometimes your ISP compresses images to save bandwidth. Maybe your connecting to internet via dongle?

What browser are you using?
I'm using chrome but also tried internet explorer with the same results.

Sometimes your ISP compresses images to save bandwidth. Maybe your connecting to internet via dongle?

I have had several other people look at the images also, they also get the same washed out image. Yet if they right click>save the image and view on their pc they can see how its meant to be.

I think it has something to do with the way lightroom is exporting the pics, the only other thing is the same pics uploaded to facebook look as they were intended yet those uploaded to my webspace and photobucket are washed out.

Which colour profile is your monitor set to?

Lightroom takes it's colour settings from windows and can really bugger things about if your monitor is set to anything other than sRGB when you haven't calibrated.

most internet browsers do not colour manage the images. photoshop, lightroom etc do. if you have saved the image with an RGB colour space then images will be less punchy online or when viewing with windows photo gallery. if you save them as sRGB or with no colour profile attached then you'll see less of a difference between web and photoshop etc

Which colour profile is your monitor set to?

Lightroom takes it's colour settings from windows and can really bugger things about if your monitor is set to anything other than sRGB when you haven't calibrated.

I really don't know what my monitor is set is to TBH, but I have looked on my laptop and PC and they are all washed out online but when I download the pic its fine. A friend also reported the same on his pc and laptop.

Did you look at the picture and was it washed out when you looked at it??

most internet browsers do not colour manage the images. photoshop, lightroom etc do. if you have saved the image with an RGB colour space then images will be less punchy online or when viewing with windows photo gallery. if you save them as sRGB or with no colour profile attached then you'll see less of a difference between web and photoshop etc

I have tried saving them as sRGB and it didn't make much difference to be fair. I'm going to have a play later and try out the different settings and see what gives the best results.

EDIT, done some testing today and it does look like i may have missed a few pics and not set them sRGB, now I can see an obvious difference DOH! thanks for your help guys I got there in the end.

Back