Operating systems

Edit My Images
Yes
Got a elderly friend who is wanting to get a legit version of Vista, he bought a second hand PC (private sale) then asked me to look it over, I found it had a dodgy version of XP and it has more bugs than tramps sleeping bag. He wants to buy a new legit version of vista.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy online. The basic verssion will do him as he is not into gfx/games photography, just enough to do his spreadsheet for his small business and browse the net. The computer has enough memory and disk space to handle vista.

No arguments needed guys on whether XP/Vista or Win 7 is better than the other please.

I made the mistake of going to PC world for my copy of Vista when I built my computer :bang: Try ebuyer, and look for the OEM disc, will be cheaper but comes with no manual (not that the manual's anygood anyway) and no retail packaging.

+1 for ebuyer,

I would recomend 7 over vista on an older machine as I have it running on a low powered lappy and it is much more responsive (now shutting up on the whole which OS thing as you said not to)

skip Vista, get 7.

I made the mistake of going to PC world for my copy of Vista when I built my computer :bang: Try ebuyer, and look for the OEM disc, will be cheaper but comes with no manual (not that the manual's anygood anyway) and no retail packaging.

I thought that was illegal as OEM is only meant to be bundled with new computers?

Thanks guys, Overclockers looks promising, I thought it would be in excess of a 100 smackers.

Where did you hear this? Whilst I agree with the sentiment that Vista is a pile of arse and it should be skipped, Microsoft will continue to patch it for years to come. XP is still supported!

agreed. MS state 2012 for mainstream support and 2017 for extended support for vista.

but i agree if its an older machine it will benefit from 7 over vista.

what spec is the machine?

I think I'll recommend he goes down the Win 7 route, since I've been doing a bit reading up on Win7 it looks like it is getting quite a bit of praise over vista and a bit cheaper too.
Now I might end up upgrading myself though I must say I have been very happy with my 64 bit vista, once I got the 64 bit drivers everything has been a breeze, maybe the 4 gig ram helps, boot up and shutdown times are bit dismal though.

agreed. MS state 2012 for mainstream support and 2017 for extended support for vista.

but i agree if its an older machine it will benefit from 7 over vista.

what spec is the machine?

TBH I can't quite remember the specs off the top of my head but I will check in the next few days when I visit him to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool on his machine...handy little application to take the guesswork out of wondering if your hardware is compatible with Win7

although XP is supported, you will be hard pushed to find any to buy in the very near future. If you still want to use XP, then you have to buy Vista/7 and downgrade through eOpen

Got a elderly friend who is wanting to get a legit version of Vista, he bought a second hand PC (private sale) then asked me to look it over, I found it had a dodgy version of XP and it has more bugs than tramps sleeping bag. He wants to buy a new legit version of vista.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy online. The basic verssion will do him as he is not into gfx/games photography, just enough to do his spreadsheet for his small business and browse the net. The computer has enough memory and disk space to handle vista.

When I was looking last year, the cheapest Vistas were from US eBay sellers. There were quite a few of them making money on the pricing differences. Even including duties and all taxes it was cheaper than here.

I thought that was illegal as OEM is only meant to be bundled with new computers?

Not quite. The OEM version if for hardware manufacturers so they can basically bundle it with their assembled PC. It is illegal to sell without hardware unless you are a dealer but not to buy and install. You can legally use and install it if you assemble your own PC. It is technically illegal to install on other PCs (like some old Dell laptop you may buy from someone etc).

Hello Everyone,

I have big problem and need solution.
I am not able to start My XP. I have install dual OS XP and Fedora. I have deleted the XP's C: drive where It was installed.
Now the problem is that I am not able to reinstall it due to fedora's Non Dos partition.

I want to delete the Non Dos partition and install XP back..

I dont want to lose my data on other drives like D:,E:, and F: ..

Is there any solution to delete the fedora an can get my space with XP back???

Not quite. The OEM version if for hardware manufacturers so they can basically bundle it with their assembled PC. It is illegal to sell without hardware unless you are a dealer but not to buy and install. You can legally use and install it if you assemble your own PC. It is technically illegal to install on other PCs (like some old Dell laptop you may buy from someone etc).

Needs to shipped with a "significant system component", mobo or HDD usually. I usually use it as an excuse to buy a new HDD at the same time.

Carl

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't entirely sure.

Back