Review Opteka GPN-1 GPS module for Nikon

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been toying with the idea of GPS tagging of my photos for a while but could not justify the original Nikon module. I saw these some time ago and thought they cant be that good as they are so cheap.
Well on Wednesday evening I pressed the buy button from Amazon and thought what the heck, I'm going on holiday to North Wales soon and tagged images would make life much easier!
So for £34 I have a GPS module, but is it any good?
To be fair, yes its not bad:) In the box you get the GPS module which is not much bigger than a SD card, two leads to connect to the camera (one for D90 / D7000 type and the 10 pin type on D300, D700 etc), a lanyard which is pointless and a pass through shutter release cable.
I plugged said GPS module in and waited for it to get a lock which took about a minute and pressed the shutter and ran back inside to check the Exif - it works:clap:
The GPS data is embedded into the Exif and also gives altitude as well as position. On uploading a pic to Flickr, the position is there straight away as well.

The unit is powered by the camera so no extra batteries and after leaving it on most of this evening does not seem to affect battery drain that much. The feel of it is a bit plasticky and also the lead could be better with a right angle plug to plug into the camera (should be ok with the 10 pin as that's on the front of the camera). The shutter release plugs into one side of the module and allows the shutter to be activated remotely (1m cable length) as the GPS module plugs into the shutter release input on the side of the camera.
Its a small and neat module which sits on top of the hot shoe so unless you let it dangle, the pop up flash cannot be used which could be a bit of a draw back.
Also I think the on/off switch could be a bit flimsy but I think I will leave it switched on as its powered by the camera so while its unplugged it wont drain any batteries.
I think for £34 this seems like a pretty good GPS solution for Nikon cameras and time will tell how reliable it is but for now I'm quite impressed:)

PS the lanyard is useless as it connect to the GPS module and dangles over your viewfinder when attached to the camera!
Also, Amazon said delivery of 5 days - it came within 48 hours:)

Pics of unit

Next to a SD card for size comparison

Supplied in the box

On the camera

Opanda Exif

Last edited:
Back