Orion and running man

Name
Dave Harries
Edit My Images
Yes
This picture was a combination of 80 photos stacked in Sequator and then processed in photoshop. It is not the best as I am still trying to grips with processing side of things.
I used a Canon 1DX with a sigma 500 F4.5 mounted on a skywatcher HEQ5 pro. The light images are 60 seconds, F4.5 and iso 800.
stack 500mm edit 1.jpg

Wonderful, thanks for sharing ;)

That's not too shabby at all. I've also used a camera lens on this but a 550D and Sigma 150 - 600mm, and I didn't get 80 mins total exposure.
Can I make a suggestion when taking something like M42 (and some galaxies) with a very bright bit and lots of fainter stuff? As well as the longer exposures take some much shorter ones, integrate each exposure time seperately and do an HDR combine if your software will let you. I presume Photoshop will but I know nothing about it. I use PaintShop Pro for 'normal' stuff and finishing off astro images, PixInsight for astro integration and linear processing.

Jannyfox thanks for the feedback. I tried to use Pixinsight but found it very difficult to get to grips with the terminology so after the trial period I stopped using it, I have not tried painshop pro.

I tried to use Pixinsight but found it very difficult to get to grips with the terminology so after the trial period I stopped using it

It's a bit of a learning curve. I fumbled around, read Warren Keller's Inside PixInsight, made enough notes to do what I need to do and that's it! It now has a rival that a lot of people are using and if I could remember what it was I'd tell you

I have not tried painshop pro.

If you have Photoshop then don't! I only use it because I've never used anything else. The HDR combine I use is a feature of PixInsight but I'd be surprised if Photoshop doesn't do it pretty well.

Those are fab. I love this sort of stuff, thanks for posting.

Cheers guys appreciate the comments, I do love astro photography. I am amazed at what is in the sky that you can't see with the naked eye.

Back