Orion rising over Beachy Head

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Taking advantage of a) fuel in the car and b) clear skies I went down to the south coast on Monday night to shoot Orion rising over the cliffs. The light on the cliffs is Belle Tout lighthouse.

120mm telephoto, 20x90 second exposures, f4, ISO 1600, tracked using a star adventurer, 3 exposures same settings for the foreground. Stacked in Sequator and processed in photoshop. There was a high skim of clouds which bloated the bigger stars nicely, this isn't a photoshop effect!! Although the contrast I added might have had the effect of enhancing this.

There is some nice detail in the nebula even at this view, I really want to get chance to try the bigger lens on the star tracker on the nebula.

orion rising over beachy head by Alan, on Flickr

very nice and I like the bloated star effect too (albeit I wish it was a wee bit less)

Very very nice indeed ;)

Stunning Alan, That is really one of the best I have seen in a while (composition wise)

Very nice. Shame you didn't also take something a little bit wider too though imo - Would have made a nice set.

I can't wait to shoot some landscape constellations.

Very nice. Shame you didn't also take something a little bit wider too though imo - Would have made a nice set.

I can't wait to shoot some landscape constellations.
Thanks, I agree, I did take a landscape shot at 80mm when I was testing compositions at the start, not a proper image just quick high iso to see how it looked. I did like it but decided to start with the tighter portrait. By the time I finished this it was getting on 2am and I had a drive back to west london (luckily to a morning off :)) so I couldn't face shooting a second composition. I may well go back and shoot it landscape wider when we next get clear skies.

I shot Orion over a local nature reserve a week ago, silhouetted a tree, I liked it but it was nothing compared to this. You really need a good foreground and dark skies to make it work, this area works a treat with the cliffs.

Thanks, I agree, I did take a landscape shot at 80mm when I was testing compositions at the start, not a proper image just quick high iso to see how it looked. I did like it but decided to start with the tighter portrait. By the time I finished this it was getting on 2am and I had a drive back to west london (luckily to a morning off :)) so I couldn't face shooting a second composition. I may well go back and shoot it landscape wider when we next get clear skies.

I shot Orion over a local nature reserve a week ago, silhouetted a tree, I liked it but it was nothing compared to this. You really need a good foreground and dark skies to make it work, this area works a treat with the cliffs.

Yeah. WHEN.... I've been waiting a few weeks now.... I did see Orion for the first time this season though the other morning when I left house for work, high in the south :)

Back