Ouch, My Eyes!!

Edit My Images
No
A failed attempt at something done by plenty of people.

My eyes hurt lol. Still, it's not always about posting your best pics. Some not so good ones are good to post too for the CC's :)

460858893_YcnrN-O.jpg

What dont you like about this shot?
I think it's a cracking image and have done well to achieve the results you have.

I might think about giving this ago one time myself.
I think if you try it again maybe make sure all the crayons are sharp?
The red crayon near the middle seems a bit distracting as it isn't sharp.

I think it's because you can see the texture of the paper and I struggled to get the white balance as I wanted it.

Thanks for the compliment though. :)

If this is a failure your successes must be phenomenal :)

Colour and composition are both great! Accepting the texture comment it's still a fabulous shot!

Love it! :clap:

If this is a failure your successes must be phenomenal :)

Colour and composition are both great! Accepting the texture comment it's still a fabulous shot!

Love it! :clap:

LOL Thanks DS, maybe I am too critical of my own work then. I need to buy some good clean pieces of perspex I think to eliminate textures.

Love the colours in this. The only little gripe I have is that when I look at this, I keep expecting the pencil tips in the lower right to be in focus, too. The texture of the paper included in the photo doesn't hurt it at all, I feel.

Actually, Mr Pants, I am completely in agreement with you re. the OOF bottom pencil.. However, the reason for this was that I took a bunch of shots and this was actually meant to be a test shot. The main shots just didn't work (different composition) so I eventually decided to go with this one. However, I had to accept the OOF bottom pencil.

I'm going to sharpen all the pencils to equal points and re-shoot as soon as I can. :)

This shot was taken with MkII F1.8 Nifty Fifty btw.

Last edited:
I really like this shot. I have tried similar recently but they're not as good as this. I always seem to get shadows of the objects, would you mind describing your lighting setup as yours seems to be very even with no shadows and I'd like to try and achieve the same. TIA, Matthew

looks good, perhaps to get rid of the paper texture, put the pencils on a board to lift them away from it, but keep the board out of the shot.

the dof looks good to me, and think i prefer it without the front in focus

Thanks again everyone. :)

Matthew with regards to the light and set up, the pencils were resting on a board with the paper underneath them (because the board was not as white as the paper)

The camera was set up with the main window of the room 90 degrees to the left and about 10 ft away, which had very good sunlight coming through. I used my Speedlite 430EX II set to ETTL to eliminate shadows.

Fletch, thanks for the tip :)

Last edited:
Back