Ouch.

Name
Peter Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

Well I broke a couple bits of my kit today. Out photographying airsofting I fell on some rocks and went down with my cameras. The 30D/24-70/2.8 L it the ground and then I fell onto of it. The 24-70 snapped off and still had part of it in the mount. The 1DMkii/70-200/4 L it the rocks on its bottom and damaged the battery.

IMG_0540.jpg

This is the lens that snapped off the 30D and the camera and lens took the weight of me when I landed on it.

IMG_0538.jpg

The bottom of the battery that broke off. The camera hit the rocks on its bottom where the battery is stored.

IMG_0544.jpg

This is the piece inside the camera that is preventing the battery from being put in.

All the bodies and lenses have scuffs and covered in dirt. The lens that snapped off the body will most likely be replaced. I'll also need to get the 70-200 (white lens) calibrated to make sure nothing is wrong with it. The camera bodies also need to be checked and calibrated incase something has misaligned inside after the big impacts. Each calibration is around £150 :| Going to phone the insurance company and repair companies and see what's what. I'll keep you posted on the things.

Thanks

Blackvault

What a pizzer.......:thumbsdown:

Thats an expensive fall. Still it shows the 1D is as tough as old boots. Commiserations mate.

Thanks guys.

[sarcastic] Thanks for asking how I am? [/sarcastic] I'm actually fine. No cuts or scratches on me :)

Pete

Ah, the luck of the Irish?

What a bummer, I'd be gutted. Mind you, you could've fell and smcked your head or something!

he wouldnt have to pay for replacements then though

Ah, the luck of the Irish?

What a bummer, I'd be gutted. Mind you, you could've fell and smcked your head or something!

Yes that's true but my head hasn't got lovely F2.8 goodness and USM lol

Pete

Well, your camera kit is replaceable, you're not :)

I'm waiting for one of the Nikon geeks to weigh in with a post about how a D3 would have survived all this without a scratch :|

A.

Well, your camera kit is replaceable, you're not :)

I'm waiting for one of the Nikon geeks to weigh in with a post about how a D3 would have survived all this without a scratch :|

A.

By your statement I therefore must be a D3 as I didn't have any scratches or cuts.

airsofting! good man!

did you get any pic's of the day?

Well I left after I broke my kit. Only 30 mins in :( I haven't even looked at the shots that I did manage to take.

Pete

i've been thinking bout taking my camera one day but have all ways been worried bout the lens being shot out!

Owch, thats not good dude.

I must admit I have been lucky during the 4/5 years that i've photographed airsoft stuff. Most i've ever had is a cracked lens filter and the guy who did it felt bad that he had shot me and replaced it.
Hope your insurance will cover it all for you.

Looks like the insurance will pay out :)

Pete

Excellent news! You obviously have accidental damage cover then(y)

Well worth paying that little extra, in case these things happen!

Cheers, Mark

It made me cringe when I saw the images.... but that is good news that the insurance is going to cover it...

Shutterman

Really? I was more expecting a post about how he could now replace all his photocopier gear with real cameras...;)

Back in RL, hope you get it sorted out soon mate - I feel your pain! Nothing more soul-destroying than the sound of breaking camera bits...

Back