Oulton Park (Monday 9th) GTs 20+ Pics

Name
Johnny
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are a small selection of what I photographed on Monday at Oulton Park.
I have about 490 but I got bored when processing just these.

Canon EOS 30D & EF 100 - 400 IS L F5.6

Hope you enjoy

Set 1 of 3

aston.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

IMHO there are a few too many to comment on.. maybe top 8 would have been better
also, a lot of over saturation going on which is made worse by some being oversaturated and some not (therefore really making the saturated ones stand out).
Also a few too many chopped cars.
nice panning though, especially the ambulance

Well the saturation issue is one down to various processing I have done. But mainly due to the event starting off sunny and then going into rain causing the dullness in colors.

I appreciate the feedback but the cropped cars issue? Why is than an issue. I have done that on purpose since I personally feel that sometimes cropping in adds to a motorsport picture. Its not all about front and tail.

Still, thanks for the feedback.

dont get me wrong, i'm a big fan of chopping the cars in the right place
gp1870.jpg

i was more referring to these photos:
040.jpg

031.jpg

029.jpg

and a few of the others where little bits have been chopped off

but like i always say, there is no right and wrong in photography (or any other art) its just whether you are happy with your work or not..

good technique with the panning, agree on the chopp-age.

complicated backgrounds on make the shots look fussy too.

Oh I get ya. I was unlucky with the medic car. That was just a miss fire.

I kept in the top one due to it showing a race between two cars. I actually didnt think much to the loss of the other car since the main focus was on the back car.

Same story with the last one.

Thanks for the advice.

good technique with the panning, agree on the chopp-age.

complicated backgrounds on make the shots look fussy too.

Best place for straight line speed though for me. Only other place is where people camp but I find the 100 - 400 too long for best use there. Really need a 70 -200.

which side of the fence were you? public areas?

I crossed the track just after the first corner from the pit straight. Thats where I was. So looking back on the amusements and burger stands etc. I was stood in a very large open field that was used for extended car parking.

The Avenue.

I guess you were shooting from the public areas then, rather than having a media pass and being trackside.

Oh yeah I dont have a media pass. Although Id love one. Was stood next to someone who used to be a track side photographer. He was very friendly.

there are some great angles to be had at Oulton, shame some of them are either a massive trek or only available to media'd up photogs.

Some nice shots there, particulary good panning technique (y) .
The thing that strikes me is that there are quite a few which look to be similar/the same type of shot :shrug: . I'm certainly no expert at all, but I am aware that sameness is a problem I often have at motorsports events so I try to vary it as much as I can - different parts of the track, a few angled shots, some cropped close (as you've done) etc.
As I say though, some nice shots in there though :)

Thanks for sharing,
Rich

The biggest problem at Oulton Park is its track crossing facility. I have taken loads of shots over the years at Oulton Park but the ones above are my fave location due to current lens focal restrictions.

At Oulton you may only cross the track between races where you actually get marshelled over it when a full race is complete. You have about 10 mins to cross. There is only one bridge and its at the other side of the track. They really need to add back another bridge.

All been said already. very good panning shots and variable/over saturation spoiling some a bit. Contrast seems high too (even allowing that high contrast is normal for this type of shot).

Yeah but I dont like them. Its just static car on track photographs. Seems pointless to shoot them unless you can get low enough to get a photo boosting good composure. Which usually requires a trackside pass.

Back