Out with my potential new toy and all I got was this Pheasant

Edit My Images
Yes
Grim day with mist and rain and absolutely no light to speak of, however this Cock Pheasant was happy to pose for me when I had a run out in the car with my new purchase, have 4 or 5 days to test it before its kept or returned so as you can imagine I'm desperate to get out and try it whatever the weather. I don't think they look too bad with the lens wide open to TRY and get some shutter speed.

#1 - 500mm - 400 ISO 1/60th F4.5
244644124-XL.jpg

#2 - 500mm - 400 ISO 1/60th F4.5
244643409-XL.jpg

#3 - 500mm - 800 ISO 1/125th F4.5
244642338-XL.jpg

#4 - 500mm - 800 ISO 1/160th F4.5
244641779-L.jpg

Mike.

You new toy is...? Sigma 500mm f/4.5?

I'd be quite happy with it on the basis of these pictures.

they look good to me, whats your new toy?

You new toy is...? Sigma 500mm f/4.5?

I'd be quite happy with it on the basis of these pictures.
Hi Stewart,

it is, looks ok considering the light available, hoping for better tomorrow as forecast is not too bad. Have until about Wednesday to decide.

Not bad considering just leaning on car window and no IS, ok I really want a Canon 500F4 IS but just can't afford one, this is the only real alternative at 500mm and is much much cheaper.

Mike.

Hi Folks,

sorry I missed your posts when typing one to Stewart, so see above for the answer. Thanks for the compliments, oh for some sun to see the real potential of this lens.

Mike.

Here's an idea of how gloomy it was today when out taking these shots

A Buzzard makes his escape
244665566-L.jpg

Mike.

Hi #1 is excellent wonderful colour and sharpness
The lens looks excelellent they are very sharp
pete

The colours look spot on
as does the sharpness well caught (y)

Not seeing any pictures:shrug:, sounds like I'm missing out:shake:

Not seeing any pictures:shrug:, sounds like I'm missing out:shake:

Smugmug ( my host site) is down for some reason, check back soon and all will be well, I HOPE !

Mike.

Looks pretty good Mikey - but as you said on the other thread, not sure if the focus is spot on. However, that could be due to the poor light. The focus seems to be on chest feathers rather than face in a couple but at ISO 800 and 1/160th on the final one it is certainly pretty dark (I've had the same problem playing with my new 300 - it's just been too nasty)

EDIT: Looking again, I wonder if it moved it's head slightly in the last one? The rest look pretty good.

Looks pretty good Mikey - but as you said on the other thread, not sure if the focus is spot on. However, that could be due to the poor light. The focus seems to be on chest feathers rather than face in a couple but at ISO 800 and 1/160th on the final one it is certainly pretty dark (I've had the same problem playing with my new 300 - it's just been too nasty)

EDIT: Looking again, I wonder if it moved it's head slightly in the last one? The rest look pretty good.
Hi,

my thoughts too, not sure if he or I moved in last one, but HE certainly never in the 1st three, I just feel that it's out a cm or so at this distance ( 40 feet maybe ), took some of Blue Tits etc at about 15 feet yesterday and felt they were out a few mm, I might try a test indoors and see if I can get any more idea. Might call Purdy's and mention it, mind you said in advert that it has been serviced recently, be a shame if I have to send it back, but I feel with this quality of lens it should be spot on and a few mm out at this distance is no good to me. No doubt be within tolerances knowing my luck and if so it's going back!!

Mike.

Shots look superb at 72ppi and 800 pixels...million dollar question is how do they look at 100% 300ppi?
Are they critically sharp? If so, you have a bargain. I'm in the market for a long lens and can't afford Nikkor prime prices so I'm interested to know how the Sigi compares.
Keep us informed please(y):shrug::thumbsdown:

look pretty good to me, focus looks a touch off in 4 otherwise pretty damn good

Good test shots so far Mike, looking forward to next batch and your verdict. (y)

Back