Overland Africa Trip - Grateful of any advice on travel insurance & tips please???

Name
Lianne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Very last minute as ever, I have booked myself onto a 26 day overland trip across Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania leaving in just over a weeks time.

I've been looking at travel insurance and none I've found will cover my equipment which is:

Canon EOS400D
Canon Speedlight 430EX
Sigma 70-300 lens
Manfrotta Tripod
Memory Cards
Battery & Charger
Lowepro Camera Rucksack

I've found some camera policies but they're all annual and I only need for the duration of the trip. I've had my camera for just over 2 years too so think new for old replacement will be out.

Just wondered if any you had any suggestions?

P.S. Anyone know of solar battery charger or any essentials I've missed :help:

Thanks very much in advance!!! (y)

There's a solar battery charger in the NATURAL COLLECTION catalogue which claims to charge camera batteries, among other things. Might be worth a look.....

They also do paper poop scoops if that's any help....;)

www.naturalcollection.com

Thanks Jerry. I'll give them a call when out of work to see if will charge the NB-2LH. Not sure my charger has a socket to fit a cable other than standard mains but I'll give it a go.

Pooper scooper!!! Better than the plastic bag and warm "present" :puke:

you say its an overland trip, if its one of those big 4x4 trucks they should have uk power sockets.

all my 4x4s have uk 230 volt converters, so you can charge from mains.

a word of warning, most cheap solar stuff wont last a week when the heat and dust get to them, let alone the vibration when off road.

ask your overland people for advice & have a great time ..... Afrika is an amazing place ....... and photo ops every minute of every day

you say its an overland trip, if its one of those big 4x4 trucks they should have uk power sockets.

all my 4x4s have uk 230 volt converters, so you can charge from mains.

a word of warning, most cheap solar stuff wont last a week when the heat and dust get to them, let alone the vibration when off road.

ask your overland people for advice & have a great time ..... Afrika is an amazing place ....... and photo ops every minute of every day

Yea it is a 4x4 bus so your off road vibration as a valid point!!! I'll ask about power. Thanks again.

Can't wait!!!! :D

Well I've been on my trip and had the most amazing time.

Just thought I'd put a couple of points on for anyone searching this in future.

Laptop - So wish I'd taken mine with me. Was lucky in that one of my fellow travellers had theirs and let me transfer to my external drive but would've been too risky to use an internet cafe as many got infected with viruses.

Camera Protection - There is dust EVERYWHERE! And I'm going to have my camera taken in for a serious clean. Next time I'd invest in a rain cover like the Kata one below as think would do a lot to minimise the dust.

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6175~categoryid~142.html

Polariser Filter - Spare - Dropped mine first day and broke it. Really does boost those blue skies.

UV Filter - On all lenses to protect from dust and scratches

Spare Camera - IF you've got the space and don't mind lugging two cameras around take two. One with your wide angle on, the other with telefoto. Missed some great shots while trying to swap lenses and again, the DUST. Got around some of it by using my compact camera

Batteries - Take loads. I had 7 and so never had a problem but if you're overlanding like I was, most but not all camps have power and then there's a fight to charge. Unless some clever person buys a 4-gang extension

Tripod - Personally didn't need it. On safari there'd have been murders (and pointless) if i'd tried to set up a tripod in the jeep. Just balance on the roof and use a fast shutter speed. For trekking, the hills were a killer without the added weight of a tripod.

:)

Back