Critique Overlooking Ladybower Reservoir

Lovely shot Alex,but my eyes are always drawn to the National trust sign. Did you take any others from slightly different view point?

The sign troubles me, too. It's in the way; not big enough to read, but big enough to act as a focal point for the whole scene. It also makes me think the whole thing is wonky, which of course it isn't.

I think lower and closer to the sign, making it a specific and major element of the composition might work. Alternatively, just walk right up to it, get down and take the shot with it completely absent. You'd sacrifice that nice rock as foreground interest, but there's plenty more :)

TBH, though, I think I'd like to see more of the reservoir. I don't know the location so whether this is feasible or not is up to you, but I'd be inclined to move quite a bit to the left and make the water the main feature of the picture.

Beautiful exposure - very well executed indeed.

Lovely shot Alex,but my eyes are always drawn to the National trust sign. Did you take any others from slightly different view point?

Got lots with the sign in as I quite liked it, it doesn't seem others are so keen!

Got lots with the sign in as I quite liked it, it doesn't seem others are so keen!

Maybe a bit of a "Marmite" thing then Alex,love it or hate it. Its all about personal taste after all.
If you like it,then that's the main thing.

Maybe a bit of a "Marmite" thing then Alex,love it or hate it. Its all about personal taste after all.
If you like it,then that's the main thing.
I do like it but it's always good to hear other opinions as it will inevitably help me produce something I like even more.

Had a discussion about this one on another forum which led me to re-crop to the image below, do people think this is an improvement?

Back