Panasonic DMC-TZ70 vs Sony RX100iii - Worth the upgrade in 2024?

Edit My Images
No
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Panasonic TZ70 but thinking about upgrading to the Sony RX100M3 as I am travelling to Canada for a holiday. I know the Sony sensor is bigger but is there a big difference in picture quality? I cannot seem to find comparison pics to decide if its worth the extra money. Yes there is the newer Sony RX100M7 but its 1200/1300 euro so outside my budget. First post so go easy on me!

I've had a tiny sensor Panasonic TZ and a 1" sensor Panasonic TZ100 and there most definitely was a difference in IQ if you looked for it so I'd imagine that a 1" sensor Sony will show a similar difference.

There will be a more noticeable difference in poor light, or cropping the images.

If you need the zoom, the TZ70 may give a better picture.

Don't expect a magical improvement though in "normal" use :)

There will be a more noticeable difference in poor light, or cropping the images.

If you need the zoom, the TZ70 may give a better picture.

Don't expect a magical improvement though in "normal" use :)

I disagree as my normal use showed the difference in IQ quite clearly, but other than that yes, if your normal use is in good light and you only look at whole images on small screens then the differences may indeed be difficult to spot.

I think what's acceptable IQ wise is the key here. Tiny sensor compacts can disappoint and personally I've chosen 1" sensor cameras as the minimum I'll use for my uses and expect reasonable IQ.

I disagree as my normal use showed the difference in IQ quite clearly, but other than that yes, if your normal use is in good light and you only look at whole images on small screens then the differences may indeed be difficult to spot.

I think what's acceptable IQ wise is the key here. Tiny sensor compacts can disappoint and personally I've chosen 1" sensor cameras as the minimum I'll use for my uses and expect reasonable IQ.

My "normal" for holiday shots is mostly fine weather, and frequent use of zoom.
I took a TZ1 with me to the Philippines in 2008, a TZ10 in 2011, and then later a TZ60
Never been disappointed with the results, and even the occasional night shot and dull weather were fine, but I guess my expectation/equipment balance was known beforehand.

I at no time wished I had taken something better.

I agree I don't have a big screen, my biggest PC screen is 24", and my normal working screen is 17", and even with crops, it is fine on those.

I have no doubt there would be an improvement with the bigger sensor, but I wonder how quickly that advantage would be lost to the longer zoom of the TZ70 when it was needed.

That sony has a max focal length of 70mm (35mm eq) and for distant things, the TZ60 wouud give a better image than a full frame with a 70mm lens and then cropped.

So I still don't see a magical improvement :)

I considered the Panasonic TZ100 camera, what put me off was not having a flip screen which I find very useful. So bought thePanasonic DC-TZ95 instead which can zoom out to 720mm
YGpSlr5m.jpg

Last edited:
I took the Panny TZ95 and the Sony rx100 va to Belfast on a short break and the Panny came in handy for the zoom reach but the quality of the photos didn't match up to the Sony tbh but, were acceptable and were what I expected from the panasonic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Thanks everyone for the info provided so far. Hard to know if its worth the extra changing to the Sony looking at these pics.

I have a TZ100 and a couple of RX100s. At screen size and 6x4 prints, it's hard to see much difference but take the prints to A4 and beyond and it becomes more obvious. The Sonys are the ones I'll keep.

Back