"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Lumix G7 owner here. I'm contemplating an upgrade to the G9ii. Is there anyone here with any experience of this camera, please?

I would be interested too, would like to know what the G9ii does that the G9 doesn't.
Cost more? :thinking:

I can't imagine that there's anything more I'd want than the G9 and 100~400mm gives me.

Weston Air Show Battle of Britain Flight G9 P1010710 (45).JPG

Today I tried the G9 and 100-400mm lens with the added digital zoom (can't believe I haven't tried it before!!)
I am impressed. I have reduced the images by a massive chunk and they are still too large for the forum. My usual RAW files that I edit never need reduction for the forum so not sure what the digital zoom and camera saved JPeg does that makes the file so large?

Today I tried the G9 and 100-400mm lens with the added digital zoom (can't believe I haven't tried it before!!)
I am impressed. I have reduced the images by a massive chunk and they are still too large for the forum. My usual RAW files that I edit never need reduction for the forum so not sure what the digital zoom and camera saved JPeg does that makes the file so large?

Seems strange.
For posting here I resize to 1200 on the long side with 85% compression.

I tried the digital zoom when I first got the G9 (is that nearly 2 years ago already?) and found it made no difference to the image if I used the digital zoom or just cropped the normal image, but I'm going to try it again after your post :)

Seems strange.
Just to add: For uploading to the forum, I work to an image file size less than 500KB with a longest side of 1024 pixels

Seems strange.

I tried the digital zoom when I first got the G9 (is that nearly 2 years ago already?) and found it made no difference to the image if I used the digital zoom or just cropped the normal image, but I'm going to try it again after your post :)
No your probably right, it's likely the same as cropping, although on my free editor, the in-camera digi zoom seems to give more room for a close up finished image than the crop tool on the editor. It's still early days for me whether I prefer the digi zoom but enjoyed the first results and I certainly think my Moon shots were a bit better than a heavy crop on post edit.

No your probably right, it's likely the same as cropping, although on my free editor, the in-camera digi zoom seems to give more room for a close up finished image than the crop tool on the editor. It's still early days for me whether I prefer the digi zoom but enjoyed the first results and I certainly think my Moon shots were a bit better than a heavy crop on post edit.
Have you tries the 80MP mode on the moon :)

ABLVV847P-wJ6g6KKJCZ_f_mfUCVyBOjiN-KEdEyYjKB9Qd5zpEmqos_TOfgAeIrWmT2OhclafBcq8q5hjzWMSCq1HMrzKWYKfz4HweBYaIeDpyxRu5WAKJw=w2400

I took that photo this morning - Hadleigh Castle from the bird hide ("Monty's Lookout") on Two Tree Island. 1.2km approx, according to OS maps. Lumix G7 with 100-400mm lens.

Last edited:
That's my first attempt at posting an image on this forum. I used
tags and linked to the image on Google Photos. It seems to have come out rather large.

Edit: ah - when I posted that the forum software seemed to dislike the img ... /img (all surrounded with [ ] ). I must be doing something wrong...

Last edited:
Ordered a second battery for the G80 this evening from Duracell Direct. I've been using it a lot lately with the 12-60 and 100-300mm lenses for walks. Whilst I do notice the loss of capability in both camera and lens for birds/wildlife compared to G9 and 100-400mm, I do find the lighter rig better for short strolls by the river, especially as I have injured a shoulder and find lifting the cameras up a bit uncomfortable at the moment.

So the smaller lighter rig is more enjoyable and is serving me pretty well at the moment.

Ordered a second battery for the G80 this evening from Duracell Direct. I've been using it a lot lately with the 12-60 and 100-300mm lenses for walks. Whilst I do notice the loss of capability in both camera and lens for birds/wildlife compared to G9 and 100-400mm, I do find the lighter rig better for short strolls by the river, especially as I have injured a shoulder and find lifting the cameras up a bit uncomfortable at the moment.

So the smaller lighter rig is more enjoyable and is serving me pretty well at the moment.

The G80 is still a very good camera, I gave mine to my son, but miss it :)

I often use the 100-300 on the G9 as well, it is much lighter and easier to use than the 100-400, and gives you the equivalent of 600mm max, and is perfectly comfortable on the GX9.

Very flexible system, suits me, and looking at your photos, suits you well too :)

The G80 is still a very good camera, I gave mine to my son, but miss it :)

I often use the 100-300 on the G9 as well, it is much lighter and easier to use than the 100-400, and gives you the equivalent of 600mm max, and is perfectly comfortable on the GX9.

Very flexible system, suits me, and looking at your photos, suits you well too :)
I have badly inured my shoulder so can't even used the G9 and 100-00mm at the moment, it's too heavy a rig to hold and would stop me healing. The articulating screen on the G80 is so helpful when it hurts to lift a camera and you have to be careful. I'm not taking proper camera trips as it would be foolish at the moment, need to recover first.

The mrs drove my car today, it needed taking out for a run and I chucked the camera in the back. Managed a shot of one of the Spring lambs, a cloudy day and not a bad result considering my current state.

0001 25 03 24.jpg

Get well soon Keith.

I haven't been able to get out much recently but one thing I want to do is take some pictures when Mrs WW attends her citizenship ceremony, her request that I do so. As my Sony A7 can't shoot silently I'll use my GX9 but I don't know where I'll be able to stand so I was hoping to take my 12-35mm f2.8. Unfortunately it went faulty and refused to focus a while ago and had to go for repair so I'm hoping it'll be back before the ceremony. If not I might take my GX9 with 45mm f1.8 and my GX80 with possibly my 17mm f1.8.

Last edited:
I have badly inured my shoulder so can't even used the G9 and 100-00mm at the moment, it's too heavy a rig to hold and would stop me healing. The articulating screen on the G80 is so helpful when it hurts to lift a camera and you have to be careful. I'm not taking proper camera trips as it would be foolish at the moment, need to recover first.

The mrs drove my car today, it needed taking out for a run and I chucked the camera in the back. Managed a shot of one of the Spring lambs, a cloudy day and not a bad result considering my current state.

View attachment 418325
Be careful mate. Mistreat an injured shoulder and you've got it for life. Take it steady.

I'm back in the Panasonic fold - I've just purchased a G9II to run alongside my OM1. A few years ago I had a G9, and already, with limited use, I can see the autofocus is much superior for my bird photography.
I also managed to find a lovely condition PL200mm f2.8 - one of my all time favourite lenses.
In due course I look forward to posting some images.

View attachment 418325

Hope your shoulder recovers soon, and the G80 seems to be doing OK :)

Hope your shoulder recovers soon, and the G80 seems to be doing OK :)
Thanks Steve
It's easy to forget how capable a camera it is. If you accept the limitations and utilise it's strengths it can do so well, and I love the size and ergonomics.
I hadn't had it long when I took this and I still love it for this kind of thing.
Best Combine.jpg

Back