Panasonic G1 Pro camera?

Edit My Images
Yes
Can you ever see the Panasonic G1 being used as a pro camera?

I want to buy my first SLR and was going to buy a Panasonic G1 twin lens kit but been told that it is rubbish. I have spent the last 3hrs on the internet reading reviews and it has got amazing reviews. For instance on dpreview it rates it above the likes of 450d/a350 and e-520

Surely if its a better camera image quality wise then i would be better off buying that than one of them?

Hi,

One thing I would be more concerned about is Panasonic's choice of using the Micro Four Third's system which I think is unique and adopted by only Panasonic and Olympus at the moment and it's something which is obviously a restrictive measure on choice of lens availability for this SLR.

Mike.

GH1 is coming next month. Same thing, but better. There is some really advanced technology in there, a lot of which will be finding its way into all our cameras in the coming years.

But to answer your question about it being a pro camera, the answer is no. Apart from anything else, it's not pro spec and it's not aimed at professionals at all.

That, however, doesn't mean it's not a good camera. Personally, I'd really love to try one and I suspect that those who do, and who do not have pre-conceived notions about the format, electronic viewfinders, or the brand etc etc (ie it is not made by Nikon or Canon ;) ) will find it does a very good job indeed.

I'm led to believe that it's a very capable camera; it does get very good reviews, and even the UK camera mags rated it highly, which has to say something for it - def not a pro camera, but does that matter? The HD version (that does video) is out soon, but is horrendously expensive, and unless you need the video capabilities I'd stick to the standard G-1 - the lens range is expanding for this camera, and the kit lenses are apparently very good, plus they've just released a 7-14mm...

Back