Beginner Panasonic GX80 Aperture Priority

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Aperture Priority has, for years, been my favourite mode, my default setting on my cameras. I do use other modes but ....

I've recently bought a GX80, and I'm pleased but struggling to understand something which I can't look up in the manual because I don't know what Panasonic call it. Canon call it Safety Shift. I don't seem to find it necessary on my Nikon!

Here's an example of the problem I'm facing: I'm shooting in poor light with a 45-150mm f/4.0-5.6 on full zoom, ISO 200 and the camera is producing an underexposed result in 1 sec. Why not 5 secs for the correct exposure as my Nikon might do? Or is there something in the menus to prevent this happening?

Many thanks :)

What shutter type - electronic or mechanical - are you using? (Page 199 of the user manual.) The electronic shutter can go as slow as 60 seconds, but the mechanical shutter can only go to 1 second. To me the fact that you only got 1 second when you were hoping for longer suggests that this isn't a coincidence.

You're a genius Stewart, thanks so much.

My Shutter Type was on Electronic but in the menu it was greyed out, therefore couldn't be switched to Manuel. I fiddled around, did a bit of googling and discovered the reason why ...

Earlier today, for the first time, I turned Silent Mode ON, without thinking about the implications. It's now OFF, and the Stutter Type is back to Manual.

And it takes the perfect pic in about 6 seconds (with the above mentioned settings). :D

Last edited:
Back