Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 or the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III

Name
Dwayne Mathers
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first mirrorless camera and looking at either the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G7 or the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III due to budget and wanted advice from people on which would be the best buy.

I do a lot of portrait photography using studio, strobes, and natural light set ups so looking for something good for this but also something for landscape.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dwayne

What is your budget?
What have you been using?
Why not consider FF mirrorless?
Might be better for what you are using it for.

Last edited:
What is your budget?
What have you been using?
Why not consider FF mirrorless?
Might be better for what you are using it for.
Sorry meant to say I'm currently a Nikon Man with a D7000 and a D5100.

What is a FF Mirrorless?

I'll have a week look at sony would you say its good for what I'm going to be using it for??

Sorry meant to say I'm currently a Nikon Man with a D7000 and a D5100.

What is a FF Mirrorless?

I'll have a week look at sony would you say its good for what I'm going to be using it for??
I've had a D7000, Panasonic G80, EM10ii.
The Sony is mirrorless, but full frame rather than M43.
Some think full frame is better for landscapes and portraits.
I've been very happy with my landscape images since going full frame.
Not had a chance yet to do much portraiture.

I would go for the Olympus ,based on personal ownership and after sales experience .even with the smaller sensor in MFT I really haven’t noticed any real difference in finished results

As above the G7 is a great little camera but lacks in body stabilisation the G80 is much better for this reason alone.

I wouldn't recommend the G7 as unfortunately it's a model that can induce shutter shock when used with susceptible senses.

If you haven't heard of this Dwayne it's worth googling as it's a known issue. The problem is that when used in combination with susceptible lenses shutter shock can occur within a certain shutter speed range, something like 1/60 to 1/250, and can cause a slight blurring or even a double image. This can be avoided by staying away from the affected shutter speed range but that's not always possible. Switching to the electronic shutter cures the problem but can cause rolling shutter effects and banding under some lighting. Staying away from susceptible lenses is also an option but which lenses are affected and which are immune? As far as I know there's no definitive list for example I was shocked to find that my film era Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 clearly displayed the problem.

All in all I think it's best to avoid shutter shock inducing cameras (after going through all this I now wouldn't touch them with a barge pole) and go for later models which have a redesigned shutter mechanism. As far as I know the G80 is ok and the GX80 and GX9 that I have are definitely ok and not affected by this long running issue.

PS.
I don't know which Olypums cameras (if any) are affected by shutter shock.

Last edited:
Back