Panasonic S1 FF.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I've looked and I can't see a thread for these so as I have a passing interest I thought I'd start one.

There's a review on Steve Huffs site...

I know he gets a bit over enthusiastic but he does say somewhere on his site that he only publishes reviews of kit he likes. Anyway he and his reviews are what they are. And here it is...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/...a-review-the-best-i-have-seen-this-year-2019/

and here it is on DPR...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-s1-s1r-review-in-progress

I've had Panasonic MFT cameras since the GF1 came out and even though I've had a few grumbles and even complaints today I'm mostly happy with a couple of reservations with the GX80 and GX9 I have so I'm interested in what Panasonic can do in FF land.

I suppose the things that stand out for me at the moment are on the positive side the shared mount and on the if not negative but maybe something for some to be concerned of side :D there's the focus tech they're using which may put some people off. This could be a bit of a marmite system but choice is good :D

Actually I've just found a couple of Panasonic threads :D Oh well...

Last edited:
Before it was announced my thinking was that a G9 with a FF sensor might just be the perfect camera [for me] - and the S1 series look to be much more than that, they look proper beast cameras. I was watching a preview on them recently and some of the features have not been done before, like the live IBIS view [Scope IS] - basically you get an onscreen display showing how the IBIS is working against your movements. They are a bit big for many people's taste but I love a chunky grip so I imagine I would like the feel of it. What I don't like is the price of the lenses, but we'll see what SIgma come up with. I imagine they will put out very similar lenses to what they have for Sony

Scope IS shown at 5:35 in this preview

Last edited:
I was watching a preview on them recently and some of the features have not been done before, like the live IBIS view [Scope IS] - basically you get an onscreen display showing how the IBIS is working against your movements.

do you mean new to panasonic? Its not really new... Sony started doing this with the A77II

New to me then :D never seen this feature before, how effective was it on that camera?

As effective as it is on any other Sony body. All the Sony bodies released after A77II has it.
It works pretty well but I feel it has also made my handholding technique worst. Previously when I didn't have this on my A99 (or A7) I had to hold my lens real steady to make sure I got my composition right.

As effective as it is on any other Sony body. All the Sony bodies released after A77II has it.
It works pretty well but I feel it has also made my handholding technique worst. Previously when I didn't have this on my A99 (or A7) I had to hold my lens real steady to make sure I got my composition right.

I guess you don't have to use it but it's nice to have the option. Looked pretty effective in the video I posted, Panasonic maybe do it a lot better. There's other features shown in the video that Sony may not have, imagine! :D

I guess you don't have to use it but it's nice to have the option. Looked pretty effective in the video I posted, Panasonic maybe do it a lot better. There's other features shown in the video that Sony may not have, imagine! :D

It has some video features that Sony lacks. Stills wise I am not sure it has much over Sony or Nikon. It's bulky as hell.
I don't think it'll sell just as Samsung NX1 didn't sell despite being a very nice body.
I predicted Samsung correctly lets see if I am right on this :D

It has some video features that Sony lacks. Stills wise I am not sure it has much over Sony or Nikon. It's bulky as hell.
I don't think it'll sell just as Samsung NX1 didn't sell despite being a very nice body.
I predicted Samsung correctly lets see if I am right on this :D

I don't see it selling anything like the A7III, more like the Nikon Z or the R, a more select market. The size and weight will turn many off, it is hefty at just over 1kg and I don't think I'd want to go back to having multiple KG in my bag again

it is hefty at just over 1kg and I don't think I'd want to go back to having multiple KG in my bag again
I agree. The G9 is as heavy as I want to carry. I went for M43 because I want small and light wherever possible. If I wanted to carry a bag full of bricks I'd get the Hasselblads out again! :plus1:

I agree. The G9 is as heavy as I want to carry. I went for M43 because I want small and light wherever possible. If I wanted to carry a bag full of bricks I'd get the Hasselblads out again! :plus1:

Same here regarding the size, the G9 is about my limit, it's about the size of smaller dslr [D3500 etc] only much better laid out, and I get why they made it this size as the IBIS is incredible, needs some room to move about - it also has dual card slots and a top plate LCD. If they could have managed to make the S1 series about the same size I would imagine more people would be very interested

I was in Jessops last week and they had the S1 in with the 24-105 and the sales guy insisted I had a hold of it.
Its big, heavy and bulky but I tell you what it feels like you could knock in nails with it, feels like a great bit of kit to be honest but I can't see myself buying one.

Possible the first proper mirrorless body that is more focused at how they can bring new tech into a DSLR type body than being focused more on smaller size?

I was in Jessops last week and they had the S1 in with the 24-105 and the sales guy insisted I had a hold of it.
Its big, heavy and bulky but I tell you what it feels like you could knock in nails with it, feels like a great bit of kit to be honest but I can't see myself buying one.

Possible the first proper mirrorless body that is more focused at how they can bring new tech into a DSLR type body than being focused more on smaller size?

DSLRs are too bulky IMO. If remember the days before DSLR no one complained about the SLRs being small. Those were the right sized bodies. Making yet more DSLR sized bodies is not going win people over from shooting DSLRs.

DSLRs are too bulky IMO. If remember the days before DSLR no one complained about the SLRs being small. Those were the right sized bodies. Making yet more DSLR sized bodies is not going win people over from shooting DSLRs.

And thats the crux of it, IMO most mirroless camera's are far too small and all I end up doing is buying grips, etc to make them bigger!
We're spoilt for choice really!

If small size and low weight were the only attractions of mirrorless, then you may be right, but there are other attractions. Aren't there! ;)

Were there any significantly large 35mm SLR's until the 80's! :thinking: The size of a range of products, in this case cameras, have been the size they were because of the technology of the time and the perceived acceptable ergonomics of the time. Film SLR's were the size they were because of the film cartridge, lens mount, winder, mirror and prism. They were rectangle boxes because that was easier to produce. Most people accepted it because there were no alternatives for larger, or significantly smaller. Until the electronics entered the scene and size and weight increased because of the technology of the time. And the body ergonomics improved for most people with plastic/polycarbonate or whatever grip contouring.

Some people got around the camera feeling small by adding grip or motordrive, which were sometimes nicer to hold because of the contouring compared to the box like body's. I never thought my SLR's were small or large, because that was just the size they were. :rolleyes: The motordrive for the Nikon FE certainly felt more comfortable compared to the ungripped body. I can't say I ever felt the were comfortable on the few times I held them for long periods without the motordrive. There were only a max of 35 exposures to get through after all. ;)

So as for saying they were the 'right sized bodies', maybe for you. ;) The most comfortable camera I have ever had has been the Nikon D300S, which felt like it was moulded for my hand. :) The D500 doesn't seem quite as comfortable, but the overall size is perfect for me. If size and weight are significant parts of choosing the right cameras for people, then there are options for everyone. Some people may find the Panasonic the perfect size and weight.

I can understand why lenses have got bigger since the film days as the latest and best lenses are better at wide apertures than film era lenses tended to be and they lack the degree of optical nasties plus there's AF and possibly IS too. I can understand all that leading to bigger and heavier lenses but the bodies are another issue and I much prefer the size of the Sony A7 to my previous Canon DSLR's and my RF style Panasonic MFT cameras are about the same size as my film era 35mm compacts and RF's but of course heavier. I even manage pretty well with my Panasonic TZ100.

Last edited:
Size will always be a bone of contention, but a 1kg FF camera is about 20% too heavy for me when I want to lug around 3 or 4 lenses at the same time. There's no real comparison with film era SLRs because the whole outfit was generally lighter than the current equivalent since as said, we all want faster lenses that are sharper with less CA etc and with stabilisation & AF built in.

My M43 lenses are a great deal smaller and lighter than the Canon FF lenses they have replaced so in my case the difference in overall outfit weight is in the region of 50% - 70%.

All,

I thought I would bump this thread....

I made the mistake of browsing through the camera section at John Lewis yesterday and tried the panasonic S1 in my hands - bad idea - it feels incredible! For comparison sake, I tried the Z6 and the Canon Eos R as well and from an ergonomic perspective and just loved the S series. For a point of reference, I've always enjoyed using the pro bodies from Canon and Nikon - so not worried about the overall bulk etc.

That said - there's very little in the way of reviews / real user experiences out there - does anyone have one on here? I'd be looking at the S1R and mainly use it for portrait work.

Thanks
Chris

Back