Panasonic TZ60 and TZ70 intermittently not working video button

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
I am just putting this on here as this is a problem I have had more than once, on multiple cameras, so hopefully this post will be helpful to others with the same issue.
This fault is very frustrating and I could not find any info on it on the web, which did surprise me being as I have had this issue with more than one camera !

I discovered two different causes.

On my TZ70 it seemed to be that the memory card had so much on it that it took a while for the camera to set itself up. The solution is either turn on the camera a while (10 seconds ?) before you want to use the video function or use a memory card with less on it.

On my TZ60 it did appear to be an issue with the actual button. My TZ70 was away being mended so I had to use my spare TZ60 the weekend my lad was racing in a gala and I really wanted to video his races. The night before I was getting more and more desperate to get it working, I spent what seemed like ages trawling the web for a solution but to no avail ! I then discovered that pushing the button hard (I used a blunt knitting needle) would get it to work pretty much every time (note it is not possible to push it hard with one's finger due to the button's small size and it being flush with the camera body). Interestingly, after doing that a few times it then started working much more reliably when just using my finger, though still not 100%.
Oddly it intermittently went to video but did not actually start recording, the time elapsed reading just stuck on zero. Pressing video stop then video start again worked pretty much every time though.

Last edited:
There's a bit more on this problem as I was talking to the technician who repaired my TZ70* and he said that Panasonic deliberately made the video button "less sensitive" - i.e. it needs a good jab to get it working - because it is so close to the other buttons and people would not want the camera to start videoing when all they wanted to do is take a picture (which they are far more likely to want to do).

* it needed a new lens assembly, at £148! But the cameras (or the current equivalent) do not appear to be available at the moment...

I had to use my spare TZ60 the weekend my lad was racing in a gala and I really wanted to video his races. The night before I was getting more and more desperate to get it working,
I was very pleased I did spend so long sorting it the night before, at the gala he knocked 4 seconds off his 50 Fly PB and won by about half a metre !
I have already watched the video at least twenty times ! ! !

Back