Panorama

Edit My Images
Yes
How? :|

Some people seem to get it BANG on... Has anyone got a simple guide?

I'd overlap by more like a third, set your camera on manual exposure and white ballance and focus (to keep it the same between shots) as said level your tripod carefully, a pano head helps and don't use a really wide angle lens, this adds distortion and make things more difficult to align. Wayne

when you say no wide angle whats the lowest focal length would you recommend?

I tend to use Hugin to stitch my panoramas, http://hugin.sourceforge.net
Hugin probably isn't the easiest panorama software to use but it gives good results.

The widest lens I've succesfully used is my sigma 10-20mm lens @ 10mm, 14 pics in portrait mode.

The main thing is to get a decent overlap between the images, try and keep the camera level (either using a tripod or a hotshoe spirit level, preferably both).

Also try and put the camera in manual exposure to make sure each image has a consistent exposure.

I'm not familiar with other panoramic software, but Hugin uses what it calls "control points" to align the images - I try and take my images so that there are good features which can be used to align, e.g. that power pylon in the distance, the corner of that field, or a window on a building for example. Try not to use sheep, clouds or people etc as these tend to move between images!

I find it also helps to use the camera in portrait mode as this gives a slightly "taller" panorama.

Not forgetting images can be stitched vertically as well as horizontally. I use a 28mm prime lens for my attempts.

Back