Critique Park Life

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
So I thought I'd better go looking for some dragonflies as, no doubt, they weren't about to come looking for me. I'd staked out a good spot about 20mins from me, which even had some ponds labelled "dragonfly ponds" so I was sure I was onto a winner! Then I checked the opening times,, 10:00 - 16:00! Ten O'Clock! What kind of time is that to be out taking photos! The sun would be and blazing by that time an no doubt the dragons would be flying like maniacs, and I'd barely get a shot in (In hindsight it was a cloudy, wet day, so I might have had some luck). Anyway, I had stuff to do that day and 10 o'clock was way too late.

Never mind I thought, there are some small botanical gardens about 5 minutes from me and they have a pond, so I might get lucky there. Unfortunately not. When I pulled up (about 7:00) I saw a big chain and padlock on the gate, so I moved onto plan C. A short distance away is another park with 2 large ponds. I wasn't convinced I'd find any dragons having not seen them there before (although according to the nformation boards, they do get them), but I knew there must be a variety of things living there. What follows is a selection of the best shots of these I managed, and I probably spent about an hour and a half wandering round slowly shooting things. Apologies for the barrage of images, but I wanted to post these together as they represent a single "session."

Scorpion Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Scorpion Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Woolly Aphid by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Phaonia pallida by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Leaf Beetle by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

From this....

Hoverfly larva by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

To this :)

Episyrphus balteatus by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ok too many to comment on really... but that last one and the first one are immense. But i love them all... the weevil looks like a slick fella.

Tim what a fantastic set so many up to a very high standard. I do like the variation you've captured :clap:

I like the triptych, I never thought of doing that.... I also like the last one.

Nice set particularly 4 & 7. Can't help with the ID but the last one is a bit good too!

Wow just fantastic Tim, you've excelled yourself here. (y)

Last might be Dolerus nitens or nigratus but defo Dolerus sp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely wonderful set Tim :)
amazed at the Scorpion fly the first shot is so close and the second is great too
I had a go at photographing one the other day but it flew off incredible that you got that close

Thanks guys, and apologies again for posting so many in one go. I thought it was quite a good indication of the variety out there though!

Last might be Dolerus nitens or nigratus but defo Dolerus sp.
Ah that's great Alby thanks! It was really doing my head, so glad I know it's a sawfly now!

If anyone's watching Springwatch Unsprung tonight, you might see one of my scorpion fly pictures on there. It's only a slim possibility though, I've only just seen the request to use it and they always run our of time on that program ;)

[quote="TimmyG, post: 6286074, member: 53996"
If anyone's watching Springwatch Unsprung tonight, you might see one of my scorpion fly pictures on there. It's only a slim possibility though, I've only just seen the request to use it and they always run our of time on that program ;)[/quote]

Awesome Tim will watch are they paying you or just recognition. You have a FMMB to pay for lol :dummy1:(y)

Edit : changed Fab to FMMB as it should be now should make sense @TimmyG

Last edited:
Thanks guys, and apologies again for posting so many in one go. I thought it was quite a good indication of the variety out there though!

Ah that's great Alby thanks! It was really doing my head, so glad I know it's a sawfly now!

If anyone's watching Springwatch Unsprung tonight, you might see one of my scorpion fly pictures on there. It's only a slim possibility though, I've only just seen the request to use it and they always run our of time on that program ;)

Not only did it make it onto Springwatch, it made "Bug of the day"!!!

Congratulations, it is an awesome shot.

That's a brilliant set. I've just got myself a macro lens so these are something for me to aspire to. Very nice indeed.

These are great, just had a look at your photostream on Flickr. Just incredible!!

Fantastic!!!

Nice work on the Springwatch mention. I was lucky enough for Winterwatch to use one of my springtail pics as a quiz question last year!

Wow to all of the photos, really fantastic set, well done and we'll done to springwatch, hope I can find the program on YouTube or something. :D

Thanks guys! It was quite funny seeing my name up on screen for so long, and then Nick going on to talk about "bulbous genitalia"

I feel like I've finally made it :)

Nice work on the Springwatch mention. I was lucky enough for Winterwatch to use one of my springtail pics as a quiz question last year!

Which one was that Mark? You know I love a good springtail!

Tim can I have your autograph now you're famous - you can increase the prices now for bug assignments :)

Great stuff Tim

Back