Parthenon Gallery at the British Museum

Name
Leigh
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I guess this shot is special as it was taken on my first trip out with my new 5D Mark III. This is the fabulous Parthenon Gallery at the British Museum, one of my favourite galleries in the building.

It's a little overexposed in places and due to the fact that this was a JPG shot (as there's no raw support for the Mark III from Apple yet), there wasn't much I could do about recovery, but in the end I liked the strong leading lines and the chiaroscuro effect.

Any critiques, suggestions or comments more than welcome.

British Museum by onona, on Flickr

I really like it, I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it has a special feel about it.
I think it's because it looks like it could be a much older photo than it really is.

It's a lovely shot, I like it a lot.

A lot of those items should be returned to where they came from though.

Thank you very much for the replies, it's lovely to hear some positive comments.

Norters - I do agree. As much as I love the British Museum and as huge a contribution as they've made to historical preservation over the years, I do feel it's time for many of these artifacts to be returned to their homes. Having visited the real Parthenon in Athens, I felt a pang of sadness looking at all the pieces of it that were removed and brought here. I also feel particularly strongly about many of the Egyptian pieces, especially the mummies and the Rosetta Stone, which should never have left Egypt. While it's true to say that in the past, without museums buying these pieces, many of them would have been lost, this is no longer the case due to historical preservation laws which now exist all over.

Thank you very much for the replies, it's lovely to hear some positive comments.

Norters - I do agree. As much as I love the British Museum and as huge a contribution as they've made to historical preservation over the years, I do feel it's time for many of these artifacts to be returned to their homes. Having visited the real Parthenon in Athens, I felt a pang of sadness looking at all the pieces of it that were removed and brought here. I also feel particularly strongly about many of the Egyptian pieces, especially the mummies and the Rosetta Stone, which should never have left Egypt. While it's true to say that in the past, without museums buying these pieces, many of them would have been lost, this is no longer the case due to historical preservation laws which now exist all over.

Agree 100% (y)

A lot of people I talk to think that there is no point giving the Elgin Marbles et al back to the Greeks. I always end up banging my head against the wall! I suppose I am bias as I was brought up in a Greek family and it breaks my heart whenever I go to visit my family I see the replicas (albeit very well made replicas) in place of the originals.

I apologise for derailing the thread! Regardless of all that is still a lovely shot of some truly remarkable pieces.

Back