Passing by

Name
Charmaine
Edit My Images
No
My first attempt at "panning" i think its called. Was actually quite surprised how good it turned out.. well imho. I know the background is suppose to be more blurred and the wheels are suppose to show some motion blurr as well.. but I am just glad to have gotten him reasonably sharp lol. xx

Passing-by-color.jpg

panning is a technique where you move your camera at the same speed as a moving vehicle. It should blurr the background but keep the vehicle in focus and sharp. Its used to show that whatever you are taking a photo off is moving and how fast its moving. I am not quite there yet with it.. but it takes practice. xxx

panning is a technique where you move your camera at the same speed as a moving vehicle. It should blurr the background but keep the vehicle in focus and sharp. Its used to show that whatever you are taking a photo off is moving and how fast its moving. I am not quite there yet with it.. but it takes practice. xxx

Wow, sounds impossible !!

good attempt
try a slower shutter speed
that'll blur the background and the wheels!
plus the smaller aperture gives bigger DOF
all in all a good thing!

actually it does mean you can reduce the ISO to keep the noise down!

Panning is really quite easy when you get some practise. The key is in turning your body around your hips in a smooth motion. Like a golf swing where you keep the swing going after the ball has been hit, you keep on panning after you've fired the shutter.

You can then pan even a long zoom down to 1/40, 1/60th second, where the background is really blurred but the subject is sharp (apart from wheels exhibiting motion blur)

but if you slow your shutter speed you get a narrower aperture

slower shutter speed needs smaller hole = more depth of field innit!

oops !!!:bonk:

but if you slow your shutter speed you get a narrower aperture

Eh?! :cautious: Really? Now I am confused. I thought aperature and shutter speed are entirely independant.:thinking:

Surely if you slow the shutter you just end up with more motion blur and increased light levels. The aperature would remain the same. Unless you using auto settings.

So I thought anyway :shrug:....

Eh?! :cautious: Really? Now I am confused. I thought aperature and shutter speed are entirely independant.:thinking:

Surely if you slow the shutter you just end up with more motion blur and increased light levels. The aperature would remain the same. Unless you using auto settings.

you do get more motion blur, but since you are following the subject
it's the background that gets blurred = good thing

aperture and shutter speed are very closely linked
(for a given lighting, ISO and artistic effect)
in one of the (many) auto modes, set one and the other gets changed
in manual you have full control, but if you only change one, the result will be lighter or darker

faster shutter, wider aperture = same exposure, less DOF
slower shutter, smaller aperture = same exposure, more DOF

basically the sensor needs a certain amount of light. So if you open the shutter for longer you are increasing the light, (if the aperture stayed the same you would get too much light and over expose) so the camera narrows the aperture to reduce it. If that makes sense.
Of course, if you change the ISO then it changes the amount of light the sensor needs.

It's nice and sharp, but as you say, you need the motion blur to emphasise and show that the vehicle etc is moving and not posing as stationery.

I've only done panning a couple of times, and it's definately an art to be practised. I love it though, and my attempts were with rally cars. I think I tried it on F11 and 1/160 to 1/200 shutter speed. The background was marginally blurred, and the wheels demonstrated some movement, just need to tweak and play with the settings more, and practice more, to improve each time.

Once you start to see a result from your efforts, even if only minor results, it really is a boost.

Keep at it. (y)

Back