Passion for Macro

Edit My Images
No
18 - 70mm Kit and really just playing - handheld ! :p

What is right ... and as importantly wrong ? :ponders:

DSC_004900332005_10_17.jpg

:ty: for looking ! :smilenod:

like the take on words Ven, me old flower.
Lovely Passiflori mate, nicely done.

If I was looking for faults (its a struggle ) I would say the colour is a bit flat - as Arkady would say "needs more punch";)

But I think the detail of the shot provides a good capture - just try to make it a bit bolder in colour. And considering its handheld - you must have hands as cold as ice.:thumb:

Nice shot, but agree with Warspite, could do with a little more saturation to make it stand out more.

CriPPle said:
Nice shot, but agree with Warspite, could do with a little more saturation to make it stand out more.

OK both ... does this do it for you ? One I took at the same time and messed (up ?) with ! :laugh1:

DSC_00470031.jpg

Edit ... sorry about the redex earlier !?!

Definately prefer the colour, maybe a little over done (sorry;)) but definately better IMHO, think I prefer the other angle though.

Warspite said:
Definately prefer the colour, maybe a little over done (sorry;)) but definately better IMHO, think I prefer the other angle though.

It was ott for me too - seriously though ... is this too much ? It is way off the natural colurs of course ! :smilenod: Been having a play with the original !

DSC_004900332005_10_17_edited_1_1.jpg

At least it gets me playing with Elements a bit more !

Edit - Again - apologies for the earlier redex now sorted !

:ty: for your inputs !

Yea that's the sort of thing, but try using less so you get an image that doesn't look unnatural.

Second pic isn't showing up for me :confused- so I'll just comment on the first...

I like the shot, you captured some nice detail there, it might benifit from a different crop, perhaps a bit less of the flower or opened up to show the whole flower.

There was a suggestion to add more saturation, I'm not sure I agree with that, the colours seem very natural to me (on my monitor at least ;) ) Perhaps purchasing a small reflector (pretty cheap on ebay) to get a bit more light onto your subject would help give that punch your looking for? could be worth a try if you enjoy the macro style.

lots of red X here too Rog, you been moving your images around in your albums?

Sonsey said:
Second pic isn't showing up for me :confused- so I'll just comment on the first...
Matty said:
lots of red X here too Rog, you been moving your images around in your albums?

I like the shot, you captured some nice detail there, it might benifit from a different crop, perhaps a bit less of the flower or opened up to show the whole flower.

There was a suggestion to add more saturation, I'm not sure I agree with that, the colours seem very natural to me (on my monitor at least ;) ) Perhaps purchasing a small reflector (pretty cheap on ebay) to get a bit more light onto your subject would help give that punch your looking for? could be worth a try if you enjoy the macro style.

Matty/Sonsey - Hi guys - thanx for the heads up ... will look into the redex problem ! :confused-

Thanx for your comments on the original Sonsey ... I have to say I wouldn't change the colouring of the first as it is natural. The other two just show variations on the theme - to the extreme (if I can get them back up you will see.). :smilenod:

I have got a small reflector - never thought to use it :doh: and I really do enjoy macro so I must bear that in mind in future !

Thanks for looking and commenting. :thumb:

I can see again:woot:

Definately improves on the first (only my opinion of course), but I think it is just a little overdone - the first just seemed as though the light source was obscured when you took the shot.

The edit is starting to show real colours, that are only slightly to saturated.

Nice work

Warspite said:
I can see again:woot:

Definately improves on the first (only my opinion of course), but I think it is just a little overdone - the first just seemed as though the light source was obscured when you took the shot.

The edit is starting to show real colours, that are only slightly to saturated.

Nice work

Yup - Matty was right about the gallery moving about thing ! Clever old stick ain't he ! :banghead:

Thanx for the observations - purposely went ott and agree something in between may be optimal ! :smilenod:

Don't know if it is any help but here a passion flower macro I took in the summer - shot in jpg no colour manipulation and no DOF to speak of :) .
70-200 f4 + spacer tubes.

passion2_70-200 f8.jpg

Edit: just to add a comment - your first shot does not look too far wrong to me... it looks like a fading bloom rather than a new fresh one. When you boosted it it does not look 'right'.

RobertP said:
Don't know if it is any help but here a passion flower macro I took in the summer - shot in jpg no colour manipulation and no DOF to speak of :) .
70-200 f4 + spacer tubes.

Just the sort of shot I am keen to try this year now I have a macro lens ... the ones here were all with handheld 18 - 70 kit lens at 70mm ! ;)

Thanks for sharing RobertP ... a really interesting angle but not so extreme you cannot see what it is. Lovely subjects aren't they ? :smilenod:

Nice bit of photographic passion ;) but have to agree the colours could do with a bit more punch.

This is what I came up with using my well adjusted ;) colour vision :)

passion2.jpg

Brian

mrgubby said:
Nice bit of photographic passion ;) but have to agree the colours could do with a bit more punch.

This is what I came up with using my well adjusted ;) colour vision :)

Brian

Yup Brian - lightened and a tad more natural !:clap: Any reason it would look quite pixelated in your posting though ? :confused-

Agree - definately natural.

Well done:thumb:

Venomator said:
Yup Brian - lightened and a tad more natural !:clap: Any reason it would look quite pixelated in your posting though ? :confused-

Thanks :) , think I've compressed it to much for the web giving some nasty jpeg artifacts .

You take an excellent photo , I give it a nice tweak then **** it up when I save it :D

RobertP said:
Edit: just to add a comment - your first shot does not look too far wrong to me... it looks like a fading bloom rather than a new fresh one. When you boosted it it does not look 'right'.

Sorry Robert - missed this one ... yes the bloom was probably past its sell by ! They only last a day or two ... my excuse is I was only playing around (new camera etc.,) and this turned out better than expected ! :smilenod: The boosting was just a bit of overkill experimentation really ! :ponders:

Thanx for contributing and everyone else - I learned a lot from this single post ! :thumb:

Back