Pathhead Bridge

Edit My Images
Yes
South of Edinburgh, crossed it countless times but it's the first time I've been below it.

2521969236_cd7a98e704_o.jpg

Nice bit of scenery! I like the composition though perhaps cropping out some more of the grass and flowers might yield better balance between sky, bridge and land. This might make the transition to a contrasty B&W photo bringing up memories of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. LOL

Last edited:
I've driven over this many time too but have never stopped. Lovely to see what a finely detailed bridge it is :)

It is quite a good composition. Shame the oversharpening and too high saturation let it down.

Is this any better. Only PP was to clone out a couple of telephone poles and wire and resize for forum. No sharpening or saturation adjusment, more or less straight out the camera.
IMG_48381.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice place. Are you processing them from Raw frank?

I thought the saturation/sharpness etc in the camera settings only affected jpegs and not raw. I always shoot in raw format. Perhaps someone can confirm for me.

I thought the saturation/sharpness etc in the camera settings only affected jpegs and not raw. I always shoot in raw format. Perhaps someone can confirm for me.

That's how I understand it. But there are many more knowledgeable people on this board, so I will defer to them for confirmation.

colour still looks a bit strong but the sharpening halos have gone.

might be worth checking the calibration of your monitor as you may not be seeing the same strong colours we do.

Camera settings are recorded in the RAW file but not applied to the picture. Canon RAW editing software can read the settings and apply them if you want it to. Don't think anything else takes any notice of camera picture style settings though.

As Janice pointed out it can be worth boosting the sharpening setting in the camera just to make the view on the cameras lcd look better for chimping :)

I had boosted the settings in the camera as Janice suggested just for the viewer on the camera and the did a calibration check a couple of weeks ago at a site you recommended http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html and everything checks out. This is how I saw this grass and yellow dandelions/buttercups. I slammed the anchors on the car on the way by when I spotted it. Dunno what to do next. I'll reset the in camera settings to see what happens.

I wouldn't reset the camera. if you are working from RAW then the settings have no effect. The colours are only a little strong looking not way out. As you say, that may be how it was.

If you see comments on other peoples pictures (too dark, too light, colours weak/ strong etc.) and generally agree with them then your monitor is probably OK. If the comments seem wrong then I'd double check the adjustments.

Maybe a little adjustment on the WB in camera raw would have been easier. Something I'm going to have to watch for when conditions are like today. Another lesson learnt;)

Back